Suggestions for a white Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ScAwN, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ScAwN macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I finally took the plunge and bought my first macbook, and I must say I am really enjoying it. I got a great deal from someone who sold me a white Macbook w/ the 2GHz Core2Duo, 2G of ram, 120GB hard drive, and the nVidia 9400m. He had originally purchased it back in May and upgraded to a Pro model, which is why he was selling this one.

Anyway, my problem is that I bought this to mostly use at work (web surfing, listening to music, etc) but the warehouse where I work is simply too dusty to keep taking a white laptop. I bought a Macally leather shell and Moshi keyboard protector, but I still just can't bring it in to work as I am too paranoid that I will get it dirty. I am hoping to find someone to trade for an aluminum model so that I can spend less time worrying about it and more time enjoying it. Any suggestions?

2. brendu macrumors 68020

who cares if its dirty, as long as it works... take a deep breath and just enjoy using it for what it is truly great for.. its amazing OS... even the MBP, shows smudges and dirty screen/keys.. dont waste your money getting a new computer just because yours looks dirty.. thats just plain silly.

3. ScAwN thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your opinion, but it's just not that easy for me. I just sold an HP dv9000 that I had for over 2 years and it looked as good as it did the day I got it, and I still lost 2/3 of what I had in it. Macbooks hold their value a bit better, and I'm sure at some point I'll want to sell this one. Am I going to get much out of it looking like a piece of crap with dirt and scuffs all over it?

I think my only option at this point is to either sell it and buy an aluminum model or find someone who wants to trade. Is there any place better to deal with then ebay since craigslist is entirely out of the question?

4. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

5. ScAwN thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you ever tried to buy/sell a macbook on craigslist? I'll bet a good 90% of the ones put up for sale are scams (especially the ones that are a great deal) and if you try to sell one, you get tons of emails from people wanting you to send it overseas.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why don't you just get a crappy netbook for these useless tasks?

7. ScAwN thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see that purchasing a second laptop, no matter what the price, is a good solution. While music and surfing is what I would do for the most part at work, I do sometimes dabble with Photoshop, and a netbook isn't going to cut it. It's my own fault, because no matter how good the deal was, I should have known better than to get a white laptop.

8. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Just keep it. I don't see why you have to return it just because it's going to get dirty. Just be careful, keep the case on, and clean it weekly.

9. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

But I fail to see what the "color" of any notebook has to do with anything. If you work in a very "dusty" environment, I wouldn't subject anything to that much less a shiny and new MB Pro.

If this doesn't bother you then just clean your white book like the rest of us have to on occasion. It's really not hard to do.

10. sonspot macrumors member

i hope the OP point out that his lappy was in dusty workplace when goes to sell it, we all know dusty is one of biggest killer for electronics, am not sure how much the OP paid for the MB but for the what your doing is it worth it,. you can get a decent lappy for under $100 for what you need,. you got it because it holds its value, funny, i bought my BMW because it holds its value too (not even close) but am going to drive it hard into every corner and think nothing of what it does to the value..

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Put 'Local sale only, cash only' in all caps at the bottom of the CL listing and ignore the Nigerians. ;)

Do you think you can't get scammed on ebay? Last I checked, paypal only provided protection up to something like 2-300 bucks. Once the guy in Abuja gets your system, he can then make up a phony reason to reverse the paypal transaction, and there's not much you can do about it.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

12. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

As a seller? No. At least not with a confirmed PayPal transfer to your account.