Suggestions for adding memory.....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by itsjustmeee, Jan 28, 2012.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I would like to find a way to get a little more milage out of my 2.8 quad-core xeon mac pro and not really knowing that much about memory, prices, quality, speed, etc, I thought I'd ask for some advice here. The pic shows where I'm at right now.

Any suggestions as far as what I can add or change to help the performance of this mac??

Attached Files:

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

3. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

If he's running DDR2/800MHz, I'm guessing he's on a 2008, so RAM isn't as cheap. :(

Still worth doing it, though. Link to OWC

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

My bad. Didn't look right, forgot about 2008 2.8 Quad. In that case get a new machine:D
    Or get 4GB kit and not the heroic 8GB.

5. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is an '08. According to OWC, this would probably be my best choice....

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/64FB4MPK08GB/

Is there a better choice speed-wise over what I currently have and also, can I just leave the ones I have in now and just add up to 4 more modules since I have 4 empty slots?

6. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

That's the kit I figured you'd want. You can add four via the 16GB kit. You can leave in the other RAM or fill them all with 4GB modules for 32GB if you feel the need, but I'm pretty sure you're limited to 800MHz in regards to speed.

7. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that looks like the way to go. I'm curious ..... would it make sense to put a SS drive in one of the sata slots and use that to boot and run off of? 250 gigs would be more than enough.

8. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

Sure, an SSD is very nice as a boot drive. You can use your old boot drive as a backup clone for safety, and be sitting pretty.

I don't have an SSD in my system yet, mostly because I've dumped money into other modifications first. :)