Suggestions for alternative Calendar apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by pinkoos, Sep 15, 2013.

1. pinkoos macrumors regular

My wife thinks the Calendar app has taken a step backwards from iOS 6 so I'm soliciting suggestions for 3rd party alternatives.

There are tons out there so what are the big players that I can explore further?

Thanks.

2. QuarterSwede, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Fantastical is my personal favorite. It's definitely got the best today view/agenda of any I've tried.

Sunrise is another good one.
    Cal is one that I'm still debating on. Good agenda view.
    Calendar 5 is another that was recently released to favorable reviews.

3. dcp10 macrumors 6502

4. bgro macrumors 6502a

I like and use Fanastical. Had Agenda 4 also and it was nice but I liked fantastical better

5. pinkoos thread starter macrumors regular

6. pMad macrumors regular

Avoid Calendar 5.

Readdle has an app called calendar+.
    Instead of updating it, they created a new app and want owners of their current app to repay.
    Total ********.
    I will no longer do business with Readdle

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

8. cameronfree macrumors member

Week Cal

My favorite is Week Cal.

Super smooth UI, automatically syncs with existing calendars. Supports multiple views that beautifully display events.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I don't think I saw anyone mention Tempo. I'm not sure what specifics your looking for, but I agree with your wife in that the calendars app for iOS7 looks awful.

Tempo is from the same company that SIRI came out of originally and it's very nice.

10. snowman1 macrumors regular

Calendars 5 and Fantastical are pretty good alternatives.

Fantastical (I think it is $4.99) has a bigger focus on representing events through lists. The Dayticker is a really quick way to navigate between days, but its color-coded representation of days is weird (sequential events appear to overlap with one another). Its monthly view is color-coded as well, so you can see what types and approximate how many events you have on each day. Natural language processing is great. Its app icon badge can be used to show today's date or the number of remaining events in the day.

Calendars 5 ($4.99) is pretty good as well. I just downloaded it, and it is much more flexible in terms of providing you multiple ways to see your events. You have the typical list view that continuously scrolls through multiple days. You have a Day view to see a visual timeline of your day. You have a condensed Week view in portrait mode on the iPhone where each event occupies same-sized boxes. The landscape Week view is basically Day View but with multiple days showing up. Month view gives you lists of events, and it may seem cluttered at first, but you can pinch to zoom into each day. It also has natural language processing, and includes a section for tasks/reminders as well.

I previously used Fantastical but then moved on to Calendars 5 because Calendars 5 is more flexible and does not rely on lists as much.

Hope this helps! :)

11. Kurso macrumors 6502

Check out Tempo AI. It adds so many features that make the ecosystem around a calendar so easy.

12. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Fantastical 2 just went on sale $2.99 and it also integrates reminders. I loved the 1st one and this is a great update, I think. Best calendar alternative I've found so far

13. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Tempo just put out a nice update, changing the UI to better fit iOS7 and is still free! Makes it even nicer to use. You can allow it to connect to your email and addresses and it will automatically gather emails and documents from emails that go with your calendar event which I find to be very useful.

14. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Tempo is my second favorite but it gets a lot of additional details wrong- puts my wrong contacts for meetings when they have the same first name etc etc and no way to correct it

Still it's free and if you can ignore the mistakes it's good too

15. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

That always annoyed me too. I believe the latest update has fixed that by seeing your most "used" contacts, if that makes sense. I could be wrong on that, but I hope I'm not !

16. bripab007 macrumors 6502