Suggestions for an awesome, superlight backpack?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illjazz, Sep 8, 2010.

1. illjazz macrumors regular

I currently have a Wenger backpack that I got at the Apple Store. It's great in every way.. it looks cool with its black and red color scheme, it's extremely solidly built and it fits just about anything I throw at it. The only thing that REALLY sucks about it is its weight. Even when it's empty, it's pretty heavy.. once I load it up with my MBP, its charger, books and the rest... well, it gets CRAZY heavy.

Now I'm looking for something that has as many of said positive characteristics as I just mentioned... except it should be as light as possible.

Anyone know of a company that specializes in making superlight backpacks?

Suggestions welcome!

2. scrace89 macrumors member

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

incase compact, old or new version
    or the full sized one if you have a larger MBP, both are super light

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Actually, I have been using an Addidas soccer backback for several years now. Light weight, 3 compartments and 2 long side pouches, web neeting on strap for cell phones (unfortuantley not sized for balckberry or iPhone). I use it all the time when transporting my MBP or travel by plane. So I would imagine that anylightweight backback with two large compartments and one small one in the front would do.

5. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

To help, we need to know whether the backpack would be holding a 13", 15" or 17" MBP.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Oakley AP 3.0. Use this now and love it. Tons of pockets and pretty lightweight. Although if you're a packrat then this might not work since it's sort of on the smallish side. If you're a packrat then you might want to look at the Kitchen Sink backpack they have. Big and sort of heavy.

7. Baral macrumors member

If you're looking for a backpack that can hold a good amount of stuff (books, whatever) as well as a laptop in a very well padded, dedicated compartment, there is no rival to The North Face Surge.

Go check it out on The North Face website. It retails for 115 but can be had for 80-100 (depending on color) on e-bags.

8. deeesea macrumors 6502

There's a company, excuse me if I'm wrong, but i think it's called "Rakgear"? I've had this backpack for literally 7 years now, (I started using it in grade 8, and I'm still using it, and I'm about to head to my 3rd year @ university). That thing has been mistreated and thrown, and it's held up like a champ. No rips, no nothing.

I also take it on vacation, it's been to europe, asia, and most recently Hawaii. If that company still exists, you should definitely check it out

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you ask for superlight, do you care about protection? :eek:

10. sadcamper macrumors regular

Patagonia makes a few backpacks that have notebook sleeves...worth checking out.

11. illjazz thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys.. thanks for all your suggestions! You're awesome :)

My MBP is 15". I definitely like the designs at InCase. I think the Compact may be on the small side for me.. I am a bit of a packrat. I love having a backpack that can fit books, my MBP and maybe even a few extra clothes. I commute a lot so that's a handy thing to have.

I was looking at Spire Backpacks.. they have a very good reputation and seem nice: http://www.spireusa.com/products/ME10.htm

That's the Meta.. it's freaking HUGE. Don't know if I want to go that big. I'll check out all the other suggestions and get back to you.