Suggestions for an internal 7200 drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by armindo.dias, Feb 1, 2009.

1. armindo.dias macrumors newbie

Greetings.

I have a revision D "old" 17" MBP with a stock 160GB 540 rpm drive. The space is getting low and i want to change for a new, bigger and faster drive.

I want a minimum 320GB (500GB would be great) one with 7200rpm, to speed things up (battery life and heat doesn't bother me). Since i'm not very into computer hardware recently, i want to know what are your suggestions for a new 7200rpm HD.

I've read that the Seagate Momentum 500GB 7200rpm is a very good one, but what about, for instance, the WD Scorpio Black 320GB? I remember reading that some drives may not work very well with the MBP, that some may cause problems, die after a few days/weeks, so i want to hear your suggestions, real-life experiences of some who had change the internal HD to a 7200rpm and bigger one.

Thanks in advance.

2. bugout macrumors 6502a

No 7200 2.5" hard drive is all that better then another. They all work in MBP's. The 500GB Seagate 7200 is $139 right now at newegg. I would suggest you get that one. You will notice a significant speed difference.

3. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Well they say performance on 500gb 5400rpm is on par with the 320gb on 7200rpm due to data storage intensity on drive.. So maybe the 5400 one on 500gb mught be a possible option for you as you can find more reviews and feedback than the new 7200 one.:)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 500GB 5400RPM drive is not comparable in performance with the 320GB 7200RPM drive.

Please don't say things without either quoting numbers or first hand experience. I've said stuff I've pull out of my ass before and I know that I looked silly and was quite embarrassed when I was disproved.

5. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

I would not be embarassed if i made a mistake and someone came along and corrected me. :). I didnt say they are better. I said the performance is on par in my opinion. Can't see how this offended you:p

Hopefully these charts here will help support what i said.:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/scorpio-notebook-hdd,2109-4.html

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/western_digital_scorpio_blue_500gb

As you see some 7200 are slower than the scorpio blue 500 some other are a bit faster.:).. Density has something to do with the increase in performance between capacities.