Suggestions for browser for 10.3.9 my Firefox is apparently being phased out!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by verveguitar, Feb 23, 2010.

1. verveguitar macrumors newbie

verveguitar

Has anyone got any suggestions please for a new internet browser for 10.3.9 on my iBook as my Firefox is apparently being phased out - I can no longer view MySpace and Youtube has a note saying my browser will no longer support the page... I'm guessing this will happen with more and more sites as time progresses so any help please would be greatly appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You created your own problem by sticking with your old OS. Why on Earth are you still running MacOS X 10.3.9? Find a retail version of MacOS X 10.4, upgrade to MacOS X 10.4.11, and you will be able to run the most recent releases of Safari and Firefox. If you want to sacrifice your ability to use the Classic environment, then you can upgrade your computer to MacOS X 10.5.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

4. spinkox macrumors newbie

I have similar problems - Im running 10.3.3 because I can run old versions of Quark. If I upgrade to 10.4.11 can I keep 10.3.3 to use when I require it - or will it overwrite it??

In the meantime can anyone tell me where to find the most up-to-date browsers for 10.3.3. Opera 10.5 doesnt seem to work. . .

steve

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

:D Your astonishment amuses me. On another forum, there was a member still clinging to OS9.2 last time I checked. In fact, so was I until just over two years ago when I took the leap to Leopard.

No need to guess, it will. What Mac do you have? (specs) You might want to look into the most advanced OSX it can run. Or, you now have an excuse to buy a new Mac!

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"Has anyone got any suggestions please for a new internet browser for 10.3.9 on my iBook as my Firefox is apparently being phased out - I can no longer view MySpace and Youtube has a note saying my browser will no longer support the page... "

I, too, use 10.3.9, in my case on a PowerMac g4 MDD. Trying to use the last version of Safari for 10.3.9 (version 1.3.2) will result in an immediate crash if youtube.com is accessed.

I can use Firefox (DeerPark 1.5.0.4) to access youtube, but get the warning that the browser will soon be unsupported. It DOES, however, mention that I will still be able to watch videos there. It just says that some of the features of the site will no longer be supported.

I don't use myspace (or facebook), have no idea how they fare with 10.3.9.

As someone else suggested, you might try to locate a 10.4 "retail install disc" and upgrade to 10.4.11. You'll find that nearly all applications that worked with 10.3.9 will continue to run under OS 10.4.

In fact, the Safari update released in the past few days includes a version for 10.4.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's only a matter of time before Tiger becomes obsolete as well. If you're gonna jump, jump as high as possible! New Mac, or if that's out of the question, the highest OS your Mac can handle... If you're not sure what that is, you'll have to post your specs for some guidance.

8. Brad Trent macrumors member

I have a friend who has this exact problem...but can an older G4 400mhz run 10.4? I thought you had to have one of the later G4 models?

BT

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Gotta have the specs to answer that. You can probably find the requirements on Apple's site.

10. verveguitar thread starter macrumors newbie

verveguitar

I was toying around with this yesterday and with the Firefox 2.0.0.20 I'm running on my iBook G3 (running OSX 10.3) I downloaded the 'User Agent Switcher' add on which gives you the option of switching the HTTP string to view sites as an iPhone Safari or from their huge list of strings to any mobile device including Blackberry and palmbooks etc.

Internet works great even if it is the simplified mobile version of the web!

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

There is a temporary firmware tweak you can use to trick the Leopard installer. Just make sure you have your RAM maxed out. I have a 466mhz DA that runs fine on Leopard with 768MB RAM. It's no speed demon but handles single tasks fine.

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

12. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

You haven't told us yet why you are clinging to Panther.

13. verveguitar thread starter macrumors newbie

verveguitar

the iBook works really well with Panther... Tiger I'm sure would be clunky, I've seen it on G3's before... also I like it when technology outlives it's "planned obsolescence" :)

14. MacTech68, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Tiger runs fairly well on G3s with these caveats.

1. Get your RAM to at least 512MB if possible.

2. If possible, use a 7200RPM hard drive (costly now as 2.5" IDE drives are wildly expense in decent sizes. If possible, Firewire booting a 3.5" 7200RPM drive will help.

3. Plenty of free space on your boot hard drive (helps the Virtual Memory swap file remain reasonably contiguous).

:)

Mind you, one of my servers quite happily runs 10.3.9. :)

15. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

perhaps it's time to get a new mac?

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You may be sure, but you are also very much wrong.

There is a huge No. 4 for your list:

4. You need adequate hard drive space. I have run Panther on a PowerBook G3 (Pismo) having only 6 GB hard drive capacity. A full installation of MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger) with bundled applications is upwards of 40 GB. Replaced its hard drive with a 120 GB HDD, my Pismo runs Tiger like a champ. Macs love hard drive capacity.