Suggestions for Desktop Setup

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cminshew, Jul 21, 2008.

1. cminshew macrumors newbie

I purchased a 13" Macbook a few weeks ago and will be heading back to school in August.

I'm trying to find a great set up for my apartment that would allow me to use my laptop comfortably on my desk.

What I'm looking for is a stand that will put the laptop in good visual range (a new display is too far out of price range) as well as a good bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Also is it possible for me to get more USB ports through a stand of any sort?

If you're familiar with these kind of setups, I would greatly appreciate any input.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There are stands that feature integrated USB hubs, but most if not all of these are designed with a PC in mind - i.e. not the relatively limited opening angle of the Apples - so they will not accomodate the Macbooks properly.

You're best off with one of the simpler stands designed for Apples such as the Griffin elevator, and work a USB hub around it.

3. cminshew thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be better off with a keyboard and mouse from Apple or from another company? I like the keyboards but I was wondering if there are any Mighty Mouse Alternatives.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I believe there are a few threads about that. Actually, like maybe a million.

Check out those for an idea of what to get. Personally I like the wired Macally Icekey keyboard, and Logitech's flagship mice are decent choices.

5. cminshew thread starter macrumors newbie

Can all of this be purchased from the Apple Store online?

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If you want a stand with a built in USB hub and internal cable-tidy, the BlueLounge SpaceStation works great.

If you need a taller stand the Griffin Elevator looks good.

As for the keyboard, I would recommend the Apple one over anything else, and for the mouse, either the Logitech MX Revolution or VX Nano.

7. cminshew thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate all the help from y'all! Is there anything else for the Macbook that you have that you would recommend. I'm a relatively new Mac owner but have worked with them for a year.