Suggestions for email AV, or do I even need one?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mars2010, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Mars2010 macrumors member

Someone suggested ClamX av for scanning e-mails to Windows PCs.

I never forward emails...do I still need to have an email av scanner?

Is ClamX something that needs constant tending (ie. updating, manual scans, etc); I'm trying to get away from these annoying aspects of running Windows on a PC.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need one.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

3. Mars2010 thread starter macrumors member

GGJ,

I'm not worried about my Mac; I know it's unlikely to get a virus. I was think along the lines of being a good neighbor, not screwing up someone else's system. Do you mean NO ONE needs one, or me specifically since I don't forward anything?

Thanks

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you really want to look out for others, you can install ClamX AV, but it is not required.

So many ISPs use virus scanning now that spreading through email is declining. Phishing and social engineering are the new wave. Nothing can really scan for that.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As you said yourself:
    If you only compose emails on your Mac and never forward emails from other sources, you can't use your Mac to create an email virus that can affect Windows PCs. If you read the link I posted, you'll see:
    It isn't a Mac user's responsibility to protect Windows users from malware. Each Windows user is responsible for having their own protection, regardless of the source of the malware.