Suggestions for external SSD drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mspin47, Jan 2, 2015.

1. mspin47 macrumors newbie

I am a new member and I am about to purchase a new IMAC. It will be the 5K
    with 4.0 processor and 1TB SSD internal and I will be adding aftermarket RAM up to 32 from crucial. I mainly will be using this computer for my recording studio. I will be running Pro Tools 11. I want to run Pro Tools on an external drive like I currently do with my older MAC.

What suggestions do you all have?I have been thinking of using an enclosure with a card as an option. I would want the external to be Thunderbolt capable and if at all possible USB 3 in the same unit. I am not sure that even makes sense so if it does not then let me know. I am going to be using the UAD Apollo interface with Thunderbolt for recording.

Thanks for any suggestions

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

3. mspin47 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

TB2 is twice the speed of TB1 (20 Gbps vs 10 Gbps). It would only make a difference for RAID-enabled PCIe flash drives like the Lacie Little Big Disk 2, and only by about 100 MB/sec.

The new Retina iMac has TB2. Apple says the regular iMac has regular Thunderbolt (TB1)...

5. mspin47 thread starter macrumors newbie

I notice you have basically the same machine I am going to buy. Are you OK with the 512GB SSD. I was going to go with 1TB but for the additional money I am rethinking especially since I will be running Pro Tools on an external drive

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Well, my System volume uses 335GB, so 512GB SSD was the right size for me. It really depends on what you want to keep (in terms of music/photo/etc libraries) on the main drive.

Bear in mind that you'll need an external hard drive as a time machine backup drive for all your other data (both the system drive and your pro tools drive).

7. thedeske macrumors 6502a

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Seems to me it would be best to run ProTools (the app) installed on your internal SSD, and use the external drive for your data storage.

Have you thought of a USB3/SATA dock?

With one of those, you could swap your [external] data drives as needed. They could be ANY type of drive, that is, 2.5", 3.5", HDD or SSD.

An external SSD mounted in a USB/SATA dock (that supports UASP) should yield read speeds around 430mbps and writes around 270mbps. That's what I get with mine.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

10. mspin47 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you suggest a set up or give me a link or pic of what you are running?

Thanks

11. Msbeezy macrumors member

I have the same machine you spec'd out..I went with 2 Samsung 840 evo 1tb in raid0 on a Rocketstar 5212..fast/quiet/cool

12. UniDoubleU macrumors regular

UniDoubleU

If you feel a need for speed, then not many solutions are faster than LBD TB2 at the moment. It's even faster than your internal SSD! :eek:
    https://www.lacie.com/dk/products/product.htm?id=10621

But if not, then there's no need for TB2, just use T1 drive as 2.5 SSDs are unlikely to even use the full bandwidth of TB2.