Suggestions for file encryption software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applesuper, Aug 5, 2009.

1. applesuper macrumors member

Which ones do you guys use for sensitive documents?

Of course considerations are open source, security, ease of use etc.

I am particularly interested with something that integrates with word (as in pcs where word has inbuilt encryption) or more preferably with pages.

What about whole folder encyption, besides file vault.

would you guys feel safe to have sensitive documents on your mobileme idisk?

Thanks.
    :)

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

OS X has two built-in options. You can encrypt your home folder vie File Vault or make an encrypted Disk Image. They may not be as practical but it works.

I suggest True Crypt because it's cross platform compatible.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Word's built-in encryption isn't very strong and I wouldn't bother with it. I use FileVault on my Mac and then use TrueCrypt for sets of files that need more encryption and need to be accessible on more than just my Mac. If only needed on my Mac I'll generally use and encrypted disk image.

4. applesuper thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies

I was not aware of the encrypted disk image option, I am looking at it now, thanks (btw won't it be better to not save a password in the keychain, less someone attacks the keychain itself), does the the finder search within it I suppose no. I ll give true crypt a go heard mostly good things about it.

The reason I was looking more for a file oriented solution is because I would like to sync via idisk cloud and have searchable names that can be copied but be secure. Of course, mobileme isn't at all big on security and encrytpion....

Hey angel, great reply, pretty much sums up everything, surely there are more options, but this is a scenario like you suggest that I would follow.

5. applesuper thread starter macrumors member

6. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Espionage looks interesting, admittedly. However, I'd recommend sticking with TrueCrypt. Use a 256bit key, I prefer cascading Serpent-Twofish-AES cyphers with strong password. TrueCrypt is pretty popular and well-known. Depending on your circumstances, it has capabilities to deal with plausible deniability as well which could prove useful under the right circumstances. Good luck.