Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
My Christmas list includes a request for Santa to bring me a book on Photoshop (CS) since I use PS most for altering photos but it's often by more luck than judgement that I get results since so far I've picked up a few things online and from trial and error from my old Elements and Paint Shop Pro on the PC.

Does anyone have any recommendations for particularly good/useful books? I don't like the 'for Dummies' series since I tend to find them a little basic on other subjects.

The bestsellers on Amazon UK seem to be the Adobe Classroom in a Book, Martin Evening's Photoshop for Photographers and Scott Kelby's book for digital photographers. Anyone used or seen any of them?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have Adobe's "Adobe Photoshop CS Classroom in a Book," which I will give to you if you pay to ship it.

If not, buy it, it's very good.

Also, if this pertains to photography, "The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby is exceptional.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Applespider said:
The bestsellers on Amazon UK seem to be the Adobe Classroom in a Book, Martin Evening's Photoshop for Photographers and Scott Kelby's book for digital photographers. Anyone used or seen any of them?

Personally speaking, for me best results have come from a twin-track approach.

1) Use a book that has step-by-step lessons/tutorials in a structured manner combined with...
2) A 'bible' type book that is more indepth -- like a manual -- and can flesh out the technical background of what you're doing in the first one and can take you beyond the first after you've finished with it.

I purchased Martin Evening's book for a friend and it is excellent although there is a lot in it about colour profiling etc.

Classroom in a Book is also good because it teaches you the way Adobe 'understands' the software but it will only take you so far.

I've got quite a few Photoshop books with tutorial disks that I've finished with or don't need for a few months. You're welcome to borrow them. ;) Email me if you like. :)

Some of them are graphics-orientated, some of them are photography related especially towards the retouching end of the scale.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
iGary said:
I have Adobe's "Adobe Photoshop CS Classroom in a Book," which I will give to you if you pay to ship it.

BlueVelvet said:
I've got quite a few Photoshop books with tutorial disks that I've finished with or don't need for a few months. You're welcome to borrow them.

Thanks Gary and Blue! I'll have a read through Blue's and see whether it's worth putting you to the effort of mailing it and sorting out postage etc.

I'll nip into Borders and have a glance through some of the ones recommended. The Kelby one caught my eye with the reviews it has on the site but I'll check out the one that joepunk is mentioning too.

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.