Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceblade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
First let me say that I have nothing against mobileme, in fact I'd like to use it at some point, its just I can't afford the cost right now. Otherwise, this wouldn't matter. For one of my high school senior projects, I have had to write a screenplay, and make it into a movie. One of the extra credit opportunities for this project is to create a website for my movie. I have done so in iWeb, and I even have published it to a folder on my HDD. This is where the issue comes in. I don't have access to a web host (my dad has some sort of hosting/domain with Google, if that helps), but I need to put this website up. Are there any free hosting services that would allow me to upload the whole folder from my HDD? Or will uploading each individual file work? It would take a while, but if its my only option, then I'll have to do it.

Thanks for all of your help!

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There aren't any good free hosting sites; all of them impose major limitations in some way shape or form. Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for some links to paid hosting providers.

Edit: Since your requirements seem pretty simple, would putting your movie on Youtube and then making a cookie-cutter blog site (blogger, Wordpress) meet the criteria for the assignment? You could embed the video in a post.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Check the TOS of your ISP. Many of them provide a small amount of server space, maybe enough to host your site.

Otherwise, you can buy unlimited space from a hosting company like iPowerWeb for about $5/month. You'll probably want a domain name...that would be another $10/year.

iceblade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check and see if my ISP offers some webspace, that seems the best option. If that doesn't work, paying for some cheap hosting/webspace or Blogger is something I'll check out. Thanks again!

eleven2brett

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
H-Town
Edit: Since your requirements seem pretty simple, would putting your movie on Youtube and then making a cookie-cutter blog site (blogger, Wordpress) meet the criteria for the assignment? You could embed the video in a post.

My brother did this for a similar project. He used vimeo and wordpress. Found a free theme that worked with the material he was covering. The teacher loved it.

payup

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Check out http://www.awardspace.com/ it's free, and I've used them in past for misc. projects - they provide a fair amount of space and bandwidth, support php and don't add ads to your site. You can upload the whole site via ftp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.