Suggestions for huge photo library

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by npiacpka, Jun 6, 2008.

1. npiacpka macrumors newbie

I'm moving my entire photo library, consisting of 50,000+ photos on my macbook. Yes i have room, as I put in a 250gb drive. The library consists of 47 main folders, but each has sub folders, some having as many as 9! I was looking at putting them into iPhoto 08, with the event view, but I can't do sub events. Any ideas of how I should set this up??

2. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

First, If those 50,000 photos aren't backed up yet, then I'd buy another external HD and keep a dedicated photo backup at all times. One HD failure and you're in a very bad place. You could also do a back-up with DVDs but that will be painful.

Second, I'd never use iPhoto to catalog 50,000 pictures. I realize it's already installed with OSX and in that way "free", but I'd seriously think about upgrading to Aperture, LightRoom, iView MediaPro, etc. (I prefer LightRoom).

Sorry I'm not much help with your iPhoto questions, but thought I'd add my $0.02

Cheers

PS - Try posting this in the MacRumors Digital Photography Forums

3. npiacpka thread starter macrumors newbie

photo library

khunsanook,

All of my shots are backed up on 2 different external drives, and I have a set of Blu-Ray DVD's in a safety deposit box. Losing my shots is not a possibility, and is not going to happen. :)

I figured as much as you said about not using iPhoto to do it, and was looking into lightroom.

Thanks for your input.

4. 66217 Guest

I would suggest Aperture first. It integrates with iApps great. Tho, you could always try both apps for a 30-day trial.:)

5. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Good on ya :)

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm with you there. I would love the ability to create sub-events. I don't quite have 50,000 pics (leveling out around 5,000 at the moment), but I still think this was a silly feature to overlook. *shrug* I keep waiting to see if this will ever be updated, but I doubt it.

7. skybolt macrumors 6502a

While you can't have sub-events, you can have folders and then albums within them. For example -- create a folder for "Vacations" Then create an album for "Summer 2008". Put your entire event photos for that vacation into that. Then drag the album to the folder "Vacations". Then, as you take more vacations, create albums for them and drag the album to the folder. Then you will have what you want. You can even use keywords to create smart albums and have them in the appropriate folders.