Suggestions for improving a G4 AGP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SGHi7, Nov 6, 2010.

1. SGHi7, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

SGHi7 macrumors newbie

Hello. First time user of the forum. About a year or two ago, I acquired an older Mac G4 AGP from someone who said it was "broke" and was going to recycle it. Turns out the OS just needed to be re-installed, so she is up and running. I initially installed Leopard, but it didn't run as well as I would've liked, so I put Tiger on it (running much better). After that, I maxed out the memory @ 2GB(4 x 512MB PC133). Then I installed a 7200RPM HD to replace the slower drive. I also installed a DVD R/RW and maxed the processor to a 1.8GHz single core. Right now, I'm looking to bump up the video card. It's my understanding that the 9800 is best card for this system, but I'm not looking to spend that much. I will only be using this system to stream music from Grooveshark and Pandora, so it needs to run Flash content well. Currently, it has the ATI Rage 128 Pro with 16MB VRAM, which is next to nothing. Like I said, I don't need a crazy card, but I'm not sure the difference between one 64MB card and another, or should I go up to 128MB.

Also, I'm wondering if there is a Gigabit PCI card available and a good sound card?

Suggestions?

2. issicus macrumors newbie

the built in mac sound card is pretty good idk why you would need anything better, unless you want to do mixing..

i think you will find AGP is pretty much dead, so there are not many options.

pretty much any ethernet card will work.. i got a trendnet it was like $15 . I dont really remember but I believe almost all ethernet cards use the same chip set so you can pretty much buy what ever you want.

3. SGHi7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did actually find a Mac gigabit card at my local Best Buy, and that is running well. I know there are several AGP cards available from doing a search on eBay. I'm just wondering about some of the lower end cards. I mean anything will be an upgrade from the card I have now, so I want to know which will handle flash as well as OS X graphics decently.

For example:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mac-Nvidia-Gefo...766?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item255ea0416e

4. issicus macrumors newbie

well i have a GeForce FX 5200 64mb it runs flash fine.. i dont watch full screen movies , dunno how it would do with that. one thing about those dvi adc cards , adc adapters are damn expensive. its probably cheaper to buy an apple display.

5. SGHi7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did see that. This one has VGA and a few others I saw did. My only concern is there's not really a way for me to see if people are using real Mac cards or if they flashed them with a PC ROM. I would prefer the real deal. Guess I will look at a card with at least 64MB of VRAM.

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Got a Geforce 6200 myself, made my system a lot snappier, I wouldn't have considered a 1080p screen with the original AGP card it came with at all.

I'd add a USB 2.0 PCI card, they're fairly cheap, the one I got had an internal connector which was perfect for adding a Bluetooth USB stick.

7. SGHi7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's actually one of the first things I added on, forgot to mention it. But I do feel that a higher end graphics card will make the system more responsive. Other than that, everything else on the system is maxed.