suggestions for interface to house HD video?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adamkesher234, Oct 15, 2009.

1. adamkesher234 macrumors member

Hey all, first and foremost I'm a real noob in this field, so please bear with me. I'm quick to learn new things so I just need a push in the right direction. So, here is what I'd like to do- For my final graphic design degree project I am creating an animated music video, which will be displayed in an exhibition space alongside class peers and their projects. It is open to the public and interaction from viewers is a requirement for the project.

I have made/compiled the music video in After Effects (which I am knowledgeable in), in HD 1280 x 720 pixel resolution. What I'd like to have is for a simple navigation system that allows users to go from a main menu, which will be linked to 2 additional sections - one to go straight to playing the music video that will go back to the main menu after the end of the MV is reached, and the other for credits/acknowledgement/information on the band etc.

Basically, I'd like for it to act like a basic DVD menu or something else that's simple / straightforward to navigate. 1 "page" for the main menu, and the 2 other pages for the MV and the information. ...seeing as it's HD size though means I can't have a DVD format correct? Or am I wrong? What would be best for compiling this? Adobe Encore? Premiere? Interactive Quicktime? I don't have a clue. I've only heard things of the above programs stated by others but have not tried using any for myself.

Would appreciate any suggestions on what would be most appropriate for a basic HD-sized interactive system. Sorry for the long post, and my noobness in this field.

Thanks in advance, cheers :)

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I don't know a program or something like that, but I have DVD Studio Pro, and I would do it as follows; Export the AE movie in highest resolution. Import it into a dvd maker (for me that's DVD Studio Pro, however, I can make HD DVD with that, not HDDVD but HD on normal DVD's, I believe Toast can do the same). Set the DVD in the DVD maker to HD. Make the DVD with all it's links and such. Instead of burning it, make it an image. (a digital DVD file). Double click the image (probably a .iso file). Now it will run. You don't need to burn, but you can watch it (but only apple computers can read these kinds of DVD's).

Now you have a DVD with HD content and with a menu. But you don't have to burn it.

3. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks I'll check that out. But what exactly do you mean by 'HD on normal DVD' - will it play at the original resolution of 1280x720 pixels or will it scale down the resolution proportionally to fit in a DVD compatible resolution like 720 by 480 or something? Or can DVD's support playback at HD resolution?

4. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

There is Blu-ray and HDDVD right? Well it's none of those options. It's a regular DVD with HD content on it. So when you play it back the resolution is Full HD (or HD ready). Problem is that an 2 hour movie doesn't fit on it. That's why ofcourse they don't use it commercially. You can't fit anything big on it. I expect your clip will fit though.

So normally DVD's don't support HD, but you can with the mac. But only the mac can play it, no normal DVD player can. So it's pretty useless when you don't have a mac.

5. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member

thanks, wow it goes to show I don't know jack in this field. So if I went to a good electronics store I should simply ask for a "HDDVD"? I presume you can burn it as you would a normal DVD on a mac ya?

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

It isn't that you
    , but it's an exception; HD on a normal DVD.

I probably didn't explained it right and made you somewhat confused. But when you go buy the DVD to burn it on, it will be a regular DVD, one you can get almost everywhere. So if you went to a good electronics store you should simply ask for a "DVD".

But I would suggest you just make an image of it. So you don't need to even burn it, but just make an .iso. (you do know what that is, do you?).

7. adamkesher234 thread starter macrumors member