Suggestions for invoicing application

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by steveash, Mar 17, 2016.

1. steveash macrumors 6502

steveash

I'm looking for a invoicing or business admin application for the Mac that I can use to create invoices to be printed or emailed as a PDF and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. In particular, I would like to be able to set up automatic annual renewals for domains and hosting.

I currently do it all manually by creating an invoice from a template in Indesign and try to keep track of renewals in my calendar. Not the best solution I'm sure. Any ideas?

2. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I don't use a Mac Application for this, but do I use a web based setup called Harvest (https://www.getharvest.com). It tracks my time as well as offering the ability to send out invoices. There is an iOS App as well as Mac widget that will enable to stop and start timers etc.

There is a free trial, as well as a free plan which allows 1 User account, 4 Clients and 2 Active Projects. You can always archive projects and add new ones. I actually pay for the service, but for a long time I was able to get by just on the free service.

3. dingster1 macrumors regular

4. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I heard good things about invoice2go, I use Quickbooks for Mac.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I immediately watched this thread after it was posted as this is something I could definitely make use of. Special thanks to @BillyBobBongo for his explanation of *why* he uses the service he does.

8. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I use Easy Invoice off the App Store at this point. Not sure if it can do auto-renewals though.

Prior to that I used Billings. But once they dropped Billings for the Pro version, the price was too much for me as a part-time freelancer. 99% sure that can do auto-renewals.

9. -pete- macrumors member

We use Freshbooks at work, absolutely no complaints, its fast, reasonably cheap and can do all of the things we need from it.

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Second vote for Wave. Really impressive considering it's free (ad-supported).

The ads are very unobtrusive, considering.

11. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

I am very happy with Freeagent for invoicing and finance related fun in general - makes it so much easier to sort out a tax return at the end of each year.

12. kbishop-now macrumors newbie

If you cannot find anything meeting all of your requirements, you can check out BidVoice.co (I am the developer/founder) The site doesn't have automatic renewals atm, but may in the future. We focus only on bids and invoices and got the idea from constantly being asked by family and friends to set up Quicken for them every time they upgrade computers. So, now we offer a web based page that is designed for mobile devices. It is free to try without a card up to 10 clients: $5.99 after. :)) The contact form on the site leads to my main mailbox, so feel free to contact me with any questions or issues you may have.

13. steveash thread starter macrumors 6502

steveash

Thanks everyone. I'm going to give Wave a try. The online systems worry me that if they ever closed down or had major tech problems I could loose years of accounts. At the moment, the only other option for me would be to do it myself in Filemaker but that would be rather time-consuming.

14. kiwipeso1 Suspended

kiwipeso1

If you want a cloud service, try Xero.
    If not, I'd suggest simply having reminders in your calendar program with plenty of time to do the invoice in numbers.
    The main thing you'd want to do is set up a template for specific types of invoice, then alter it at each specific invoice time.
    That is what I do with numbers.

15. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

I tried Harvest but would always forget to turn it off... My favorite is On The Job, a simple time tracker that generates nice, clean invoices. It is everything I need and nothing more.