Suggestions for learning Java script

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by andyjamesnelson, Mar 21, 2009.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey,

After around 6 months of working practice I feel very comfortable with XHTML and CSS.

I'm thinking the next step is learning Java Script alongside a library like jQeury.

I'm wondering if people have any good suggestions for the best route to take and good learning resources.

Thanks, Andy

2. cromwell64 macrumors regular

it depends on how familiar you are with other programming languages. If you don't have much experience then a decent place to start learning is at w3schools.

If you are already comfortable with programming concepts or after you learn the basics at the previous link you can check out the MDC Javascript reference, and also learning the Document Object Model which you will need to know if you want to do much with Javascript in a browser.

I would wait until you have a decent understanding of how the language and the DOM works before learning to use a framework like jQuery

3. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

If it's books you are after, Head First JavaScript is top-notch. I'd follow that with jQuery in Action. Disclaimer: I'm the author of the latter book, so take that into account even though I do believe that it is still the best jQuery book out there.