Suggestions For Maps / Route Planning Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GR2345, Jun 29, 2011.

1. GR2345 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for software on the Mac that will allow me to plan a backpacking trip through a national forest. I need software that will allow me to plan the trip's route and incorporate elevation data (either manually added or from a map set) for distance measurements and elevation profiles (graphs of distance vs. elevation). I won't be using a GPS, so support for one doesn't matter. I've found Terrain Navigator (http://maptech.mytopo.com/land/terrainnavigator/index.cfm) on Windows, but I can't seem to find anything on OS X that will work.

Thanks in advance!

2. GR2345 thread starter macrumors newbie

ladies and gentlemen, please, not all at once ;)

3. localoid, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

You may have better luck asking the question on forum where hikers hangout. There are probably more hikers using Macs than there are Mac users who hike. Proportionally speaking that is.....

5. localoid, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

And too, if you have or can find the *.KML geo-data file for the trail/trails, you can view elevation data, measure distance, etc., in the Mac version of Google Earth.

Here's an example for the Long Point Trail, one of several trails in the New River Gorge National River.

Attached Files:

6. GR2345 thread starter macrumors newbie