suggestions for my next lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fongyuen, Dec 8, 2011.

1. fongyuen, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

fongyuen macrumors 6502

a window of opportunity has opened up for me to buy a new lens in the next weeks and i'm looking for some suggestions. it will be paired with my new 7d. i mostly just take pictures of my kids and friends. right now i have a nifty fifty and a 18-135 f/3.5-5.6.

here's what i am thinking: i'm ok with the IQ of the 50mm 1.8 but really don't like the plastic construction so i originally thought of upgrading to the 1.4, but heard the micro-usm is problematic in the long run. i was also thinking of selling the 18-135 and trading up for the 24-105 f/4 L.

but then i thought that instead of upgrading, i can get something new that covers what i don't have now. i'm leaning towards the 85mm 1.8 (but concerned that it might be too close on the 7d, esp. indoors) or maybe even the 60mm 2.8 (tho macro, apparently good for portraits, too). Was also thinking of going lower to 35mm, too but i've heard the AF was really loud for that one.

any suggestions?

2. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

If you like the 50mm sigma do a pretty good 50mm 1.4....If you want to see some samples check out some of jason becks fantastic protraits in the photo of the day thread (couuple in there this month)

I dont know weather he used the sigma for those shots imparticular (you can ask him he's a pretty nice guy as I recall)

In that kind of range there is also the canon 17 55 2.8i which is very well thought off

The canon 24 70 L (no IS tho), the canon 24 105 f4 (slower but more range)

not sure about the AF on the 35 being noisy..even if it was i'm struggling to find a situation where that would be a problem..

Any of those lenses are great choices so I'm sure you will enjoy using any of them.

If photography is a hobby and passion, I would say buy the one you want most its not about being practical its about having fun..

3. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Hi,

I do not know Canon lenses as well because I shoot a Nikon D3S. However, I would think about getting something in the 24-70mm, f2.8 range. This will give you good bokah when shooting up close and wide open. By the way, you do not need IS or Vibration Reduction in this range.

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the input so far, i should mention that the price on the 24-105 would be a reach for me so the 24-70 is beyond possibility right now. i'm kinda looking for something in the $300-$500 range.

----------

but yeah, ur right, the 24-70 L would be sweet...maybe next year. :)

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As your price range will not stretch to the lovely EF 35mm f/1.4 USM L have you considered the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM? This will get you closer to the "normal" 50mm equivalent field of view on your 7D (44.8mm, the 35mm would be 56mm). It is fast at f/1.8 and has USM so silent focussing. And it's in your price range.

I've always found the 50mm a bit long on my 7D, the 35mm is much better for me...

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I would say 24-70L. I've been debating on getting that lens to either compliment my 24-105L or replace it entirely. It is a bit expensive however you can get used ones for around $900-$1000.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There are constant rumours about a 24-70L II (maybe with IS). If Canon do release one that should drive down prices on existing used copies...

8. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll look into it!

9. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, I heard about those rumors as well. Last I checked it was "supposed" to be released like 3-4 years ago or something like that :confused: Then that begs the question, if the 24-70 II IS is released, then I'll have to get that one instead of the "older" model. Decisions decisions :)

10. unclet macrumors member

The 85mm 1.8 is my favorite lens for portraits, but you're right, it is a bit close indoors on an APS-C sensor. Despite that, it is the lens I use most for portraits because of the image quality it produces. I use the 35mm 2.0 when I need a fast lens for more cramped indoor photos. It's a bit slower than the 85mm and the IQ is not quite as good (though it's definitely not bad at all), plus the focus is a bit noisy, but for the price it's a great lens.

11. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

People have given suggestions for a variety of lenses, but it is unclear what you feel your current equipment lacks (smaller DOF? sharpness?), and what you plan to do with your new lens (portraits? action?), other than purchase it.

Also, do you have a budget?

12. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

you make a good point. part of it is getting a new lens that doesn't feel like a big plastic toy. that's my gripe with the nifty fifty. better bokeh, consistent sharpness and faster AF would be good, too. the 24-105 L is kinda out of my reach (budget wise) but i'd like to have a good walkaround lens as well as a couple of primes. i still plan on taking mostly portraits, again of my kids and friends. budget would be about 300-500. i appreciate everyone's feedback thus far.

13. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

most zoom lenses in the 300- 500 range are going to be a step down in IQ from the nifty 50...yes its that good...if the only problem is it feels a bit plasticky...would you be better of waiting and mabe saving up more for the 24 70 or 24 105.

If you want an 'improved' nifty 50 and like its range then the canon or sigma 1.4 are both good candidates.

There is loads of debate on the qualities of the canon and sigma 1.4.

I read a few articles and most of the sensible ones broke down along the lines of the sigma is sharper wide open, the canon gives better colours.

As colour is easier to fix in post then sharpeness I bought the sigma..its big and heavy and feels very robust.

14. jabbott macrumors 6502

Canon is currently running a rebate on the 50mm f/1.4 lens, and it is available at B&H for $339 here. Earlier this year the price was around $450 so this is definitely a good deal. Last year I posted a review of this lens compared to the 50mm f/1.8 and other lenses here. There have been many times where I've gotten usable low-light photos handheld and without flash with the 50mm f/1.4 that would have been impossible to capture with the 24-70mm f/2.8L (I shoot with both). I've also had some 50mm f/1.4 photos that rival the 24-70mm f/2.8L in sharpness when stopped down. I don't like the 50mm f/1.8 because its bokeh is not as nice looking as the f/1.4 and it makes specular highlights look bad. If your budget is $300-$500, I think the 50mm f/1.4 is your best bet, regardless of what people say about micro USM. Also with its current low price, you could resell it for about what you paid for it if you decide you don't like it. Just keep the box and everything that came with it in case you do decide to resell it. ;)

15. rcappo macrumors regular

24-70 f/2.8 would be a good lens or a 35mm prime. That is what I would suggest.

I have the 85mm f1.8 on a 5Dm2, and it is close on that. Which isn't bad, but it is a specific picture. On a crop sensor, it would be good for headshots. The pictures do come out great though if you are back far enough.

16. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

rcappo: yeah, it might be worth it to save up for the 24-70. ideally i can have a zoom for walkaround and a couple of primes.

jabbott: thanks for the plug for 50 1.4, yeah, the $339 price is pretty good

thedrift-: i'll look into the sigma 1.4, i am looking for something a little more robust.

17. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

The Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 is an excellent performer, for around $450 (the non-VC version; the stabilized one has worse optics and is more expensive).

18. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'm leaning towards the the sigma 30mm f/1.4 right now. It's selling on B&H and Amazon for $489. Has anyone purchased this lens for a better price than this in the past?

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

Look at you existing collection of photo in iPhoto or where ever you keep them. Look at the focal lengths use and the f-stops. If you have a lot of them where the zoom ring is maxed out to one end or the other this tells you that you need a longer or shorter lens. Also see how many are shot wide open. If you have many then you need a faster lens.

Also just look at the photos. Any photo can be improved. What would it take. Maybe better lighting? I'd think speed light would be better than a new lens, unless you have one already. Do you do scenic shots, get a tripod.

Analysis of your library will tell you what you would actually use.

20. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

sound advice. i will put it into practice. just general impressions of my own usage, though, i know i generally use the 50mm 1.8 whenever i can and only resort to the 18-135 when i don't have the space to maneuver.

21. ChrisA macrumors G4

I guess the data in the library does not tell say if you are standing on a chair with your back pressed flat to a wall. But it will tell you if you are using the f/1.8 setting. If you are then the fast 35mm lens would work. I like higher shots and use the 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8 for people and an even longer 105mm if Im doing a formal shot and using a tripod and studio lights.

My point was simple. Look at what you actually do. You have a good record of what you do. That is unless you want to get into a new genre like fine art landscapes or wildlife photography

22. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Don't upgrade the 50mm. You've already got a 50mm sure it's noisy and the focus is slow but if I was you I'd get a new lens that will allow you to take different photo's to the ones you already can.

Have you thought about a flash and some triggers. If you're willing to put in a bit of work learning how to use flash it is a great tool for photography.

The Sigma 30mm is a nice lens and when I was on a crop it got a lot of work, it's a nice little lens.

Here's a flash shot of my kids

[​IMG]

23. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, that's what i'm thinking as well, i'd rather expand my collection instead of just upgrading since the nifty fifty is not that bad. i have 430 ex ii but still need to learn how to properly use off-camera flash. that pic of ur kids is quite....convincing. :)

24. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

I say go for the 35 1.4L -I have the 7d and that's lens I used most on it - it's fantastic. If you're looking to do portraits, I would consider the 85mm 1.4 - I have heard rave reviews about it.

BTW Canon just announced the new 28-70 2.8L II which will be out sometime early next year.

I've some experience w/Sigma lenses and I've been very happy w/them but I would caution against buying a lens made for a crop camera unless you never plan on upgrading to full frame. Good time to buy Canon glass and they are running rebates on the west coast still I think. East coast rebate program ended 2 weeks ago.

25. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

really? where did you see that?