Suggestions for online backup service?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MiataMac, May 22, 2010.

1. MiataMac macrumors member

I'm looking for an online backup service at around $5 a month, where I can backup my Aperture library (50+ GB).

So far I've tried these - and I don't like them...

Mozy: It's all good, until restore. Then it sucks.

Backblaze: Exclusion-based backup. Really cumbersome to exclude all folders on my Mac when I only need Aperture library to be backed up...

iDrive: Bandwidth throttling doesn't work, they call it "auto-pause" and even while set to 25%, it still uploads with all my ADSL connection can do - making surfing terrible.

Keepit: No bandwidth throttle at all.

Crashplan: Too much "in the background" - no menubar icon or anything else to keep an eye on. The app doesn't feel Mac native at all, I guess it's in java (I can live with it, but it makes me feel like they only do a Mac version so they can say "Mac's supported").

Carbonite: I've heard it's pretty bad, so I haven't tested it yet.

So far Crashplan is my preferred choice but it's not one I'm happy with. I'll have to see how it does with a 50gb backup/restore process first though, but I would love to hear your suggestions if you know of any other/better online backup services?

2. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

I agree that the exclusion system is confusion, however, for your purposes - it seems that it would be a simple configuration once and then you would be covered. In my experience, the support, price, and client makes it worth it. Keep in mind you can cmd+click in the exclusion menu. Start By excluding everything on your HD but Users, everyone other than your account, everything in Home except photos, everything in photos except for Aperture library. 5 minutes tops and you'd have the best service set up how you like. Good luck.

3. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

kufford- yeah, I thought about that. But I didn't want to *remember* to go an exclude stuff along the way, as it's possible that I'll create a new folder every now and then :)

Crashplan seems to have what I need, except it's not pretty (but let's admit it, pretty is less important when it comes to backup). It does, however, allow me to bandwidth throttle (both when user is away and when user is there) and it can even *pause* restores, something which Mozy doesn't allow you to do. Pause a restore, shut down computer for the night, continue next day. That should work.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not use an external drive. That way you don't need to trust another service is doing everything to securely keep and backup your data.

I use two drives, one is portable that I take offsite

using an external drive had an added benefit of speed as well :)

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

6. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

maflynn - rotating drives is certainly possible as well, but also necessary as just a single external drive is not worth much in case of a break-in, fire etc. I tried that once already, thief went with my old MacBook and my external drive - luckily the MacBook didn't work and the external drive was meant for my media center (Mac Mini) and so it didn't have any content on it yet. But if the MacBook had been my primary laptop and the external drive my backup, I would have been fried by now :D

roadbloc - well, in that case, the providers might be chargin too little, cause most of them sell at $5/month (or less if you buy a longer period) ;) Sure you can go higher with pro services and maybe get more features. Dropbox doesn't offer dedicated backup services as far as I know.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Any service you find for $5/month/50 GB is going to be a pain. You get what you pay for.

8. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

What do you suggest it's going to cost then? It seems the most popular services that you hear about these days, iDrive, Mozy, Backblaze, Keepit, Crashplane etc are in the $5/month area.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No idea. I don't advocate online backups as a general rule. They're slow, expensive, and there are all sorts of privacy and security issues that companies gloss over.

Aren't those the ones you're not happy with? ;)

10. MiataMac thread starter macrumors member

I backed up 50GB to Mozy in less than 20 hours, I think that's decent speed. It's the restore, for Mozy's part, that sucks. No way of resuming so you if it fails, you have to start over.

I'm not worried about security though, 448 bit blowfish with my own private key that nobody else knows, I don't think it gets much safer than that, compared to the risk of somebody hacking your personal computer and getting access to your data unencrypted or simply gets access to it physically.