Suggestions for organizing home videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scr1968, Jun 7, 2013.

1. scr1968 macrumors regular

I know this topic has been asked before, but not recently.

I have a bunch of videos (primarily of my family / kids) that I would like to organize more than just by name in folders in the Finder. There does not seem to be a clear cut / obvious choice on the Mac platform that falls into the iTunes or iPhoto mold. Some of the ones I have looked at briefly include:

• Cinematica
    • ClipStart
    • iVideo
    • InerziaStudios
    • Usher

Wondering if anyone has any opinions on the above or suggestions for any others. Don't care so much about playing them back as I do being able to organize them a little better with things like folder support and tagging.

SR

2. onekerato macrumors regular

You could try Leap, which uses tagging. This is a general purpose app, not specifically for videos. Double-clicking on a video file will still open it in the default app on OS X. It uses an industry standard tagging mechanism which should mean the effort you put into tagging & describing your videos is not wasted down the road.

Leap ($26)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leap/id406510909?mt=12

Demo available on the website
    http://www.ironicsoftware.com/leap/

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do your videos not import into iTunes?

I've had good luck using iTunes to add tags (which iPhoto calls "keywords") to my videos, and then either using its Search feature to quickly find them (by typing in one or more tags), or making Smart Albums that auto-update content based on the video tags.

Attached Files:

4. scr1968 thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose I should have added that ideally the end result of would end up in iTunes. What I was looking to organize is all the snippets of video that I might shoot prior to putting the final product together. Especially when I get two or three (or more) projects behind, being able to organize all the clips prior to editing them.

SR