Suggestions for Oslo, Gothenburg and Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by acidfast7, Apr 20, 2012.

1. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I'll be in Oslo, Gothenburg and Copenhagen next week. Any suggestions for what to see/do and for shopping/dining?

Advice is welcome!

2. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Not been to Oslo, but I've been to Norway 3 times. And I spent two days or so in Copenhagen. The shopping is great, the people are great, but save your money. The Euro isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh, and try to hit the Hard Rock in each town and buy stuff. Those are cool places to go and collect stuff from.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well if you're in Goteburg, you have to visit the Liseberg Amusement park. They have a cool roller coaster there that's mostly hidden by trees, kind of a fun ride.

The first time I ever saw those forced perspective chalk drawings in the sidewalk was in Oslo. It's a beautiful city, super clean and new looking, lots of pretty girls. :)

4. rasmusonline macrumors regular

Oslo:

Holmenkollen, there is the giant ski ramp. The ramp itself isn't too spectacular but you can wander a little bit around it.

There are interesting museums, some with ships in it and in one you can walk inside the restored ship...

Don't forget the opera, a friend of my parents (now he's my friend too :D)) plays at the orchestra there, he guided us through the building.

They have tons or bars and clubs and restaurants like everywhere, prices are perceived 10-some high compared to Europe. :)

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I see what you did there.

6. acidfast7, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012

acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Cool. I've heard that it's quite nice. Thanks for the tip!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. Zerozal macrumors 6502

Currency exchange will be a pain. Neither Norway, Sweden, nor Denmark are members of the Eurozone, so you'll be using the Norwegian krone in Oslo, the Swedish krona in Gothenburg, and the Danish krone in Copenhagen.

I've been to Copenhagen several times on business, and the city is very friendly, approachable, and walkable. Everyone speaks excellent English, but it's always a good idea to learn a few basic phrases in the local language, especially "thank you."

If you have time for sightseeing, you'll want to check out Amalienborg Palace, the Marble Church, Nyhavn, Rosenborg Castle, and the pedistrian shopping area near Nyhavn called Strøget.

As for food, there's a ton of restaurants around Nyhavn and Stroget, but I haven't really found anything that was outstanding--most of the restaraunts are very pricey and fairly touristy.

I haven't been to Oslo or Gothenburg, but if the prices are anything like Copenhagen, bring lots of $$$. :)

Have a great trip!

9. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

I second what other people have said about cost -- Scandinavia is really expensive, so be prepared to fork out a lot.

Lots of cool things to do in Oslo, depending upon what you like. Some cool museums are the Fram/Kon Tiki maritime museums in Bygdøy. Pretty close nearby is the viking ship museum, which also is fascinating.

If you're into art, the Norwegian National Gallery is free (and you can rent an audioguide for a nominal sum in the museum shop, something I'd definitely recommend). It's not very large, so doesn't have to take a whole lot of time, and you can see some of the most famous Norwegian paintings there are, by artists such as Munch.

Just a couple quick ideas... :)

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

While in Gothenburg, check out the amazing death metal scene.

11. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Hej! Guys, I lived in Stockholm for 2.5 years, money isn't an issue. I'm just curious what I should see.

Jag inte har kulturchock.

I was thinking: Vigeland Sculpture Park, SAAB museum, Christiana (it's been a few years since last time.) Maybe the Calsberg labs again?

Honestly, looking for detailed advice.

TIA

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

While in Gothenburg check out the music venues.

Too bad you won't be there the 15th-16th, then you could go to metal town.

13. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

excellent advice in this thread so far.

Munch just had an exhibition in Frankfurt, which was great. Also, I'm quite sad to see that one version is being auctioned :(

Keep the great advice coming!

14. sysiphus, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

A couple of my favorite things to do when in København are to stop at La Glace (best pastries in town) and to go up the Rundetårn*...it's a relatively quick stop, and gives a nice view of the city. There are lots of other awesome things to do, of course...like visit the old Carlsberg brewery (ok, it's a bit out of town, but let's face it, everything's pretty close in little Danmark)

*Here's a link to show the view....
    http://rundetaarn.dk/dansk/view.html (Click in the box under "Udsigt i retningen" to change directional view)

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Now that you ask, I actually have no idea what I would do as a tourist in this city... :confused:

16. acidfast7 thread starter macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I'm quite excited about the sculpture garden. It looks similar to Millergården in Stockholm, but a little more extreme.

Also, I'm looking forward to cooking some nice salmon dishes with fresh salmon as we rented an apartment instead of staying in a hotel/motel/hostel.

17. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Vigelandsparken is quite nice, yes. Also the Opera is worth checking out.