Suggestions for SSD drives for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by h1r0ll3r, Jul 23, 2010.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have a 2010 MBP with all the trimmings except for a SSD drive. I've been looking at some options but can't seem to figure out what a good brand is since I've never owned/used a SSD before and, therefore, don't know what a good vs crappy brand is. Can anyone recommend a good SSD brand?

Also, are there any limitations/restrictions within Mac OS X as far as as size in concerned? So, for example, if I were to get a 1TB SSD drive (I wish) would OS X not recognize it due to its size or is this a non issue? Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would highly recommend OWC, their performance is great. Intel is also good, although the performance is not as good as the OWC drives.

Nonissue.

3. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I'm also interested in this but I'm curious about what people mean when they say OSX doesn't have TRIM support or something .. And that supposebly negatively affects SSD'd over time?

Can someone explain? I'd love to get the OWC 256 GB SSD when the prices fall.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here is an explanation of TRIM.

5. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

I am using the OCZ Vertex 2 120gb , in conjunction with MCE optibay. And have had nothing but rock solid performance. SSD's are really the single biggest upgrade you can do if your still using platter storage.

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Intel SSD for another vote. If you search these forums you will see countless users who have been extremely satisfied with intel. Intel's lineup may not be the fastest anymore, but they are known for the reliability.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I love my Intel, but would look at the OWC drive if I were buying an SSD now.

The price on the OWC drives is borderline absurd though.

9. MrCooperS macrumors member

I see a lot of people recommending OWC NuRAM and OWC SSD. Why is a OWC SSD good? I've never even heard of OWC until I joined this forum.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here you go :)

11. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Same here, absolutely love my Vertex 2. Could feel the old 5400rpm bottle necking everything and the performance increase when I changed over was astronomical. Pricey but well worth it if you can afford it, only downside I've found is the computers I use at work seem painfully slow now. My MBP boots quicker than what it takes for most of them to open a program.

12. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I did the best I could at understanding it. Lol.

So this is currently an issue with OSX? Everyone is assuming it'll be supported in 10.7 huh?

13. killjanuary macrumors newbie

Personally , I recommend intel ssd - X25-M G2. And the 160GB type is faster than 80GB type.

Yes, intel's SSD is not the fastest one. However , it is very reliable which has been proved by users.

As to the trim, please feel free to use SSD in the 10.6 system. Do not worry about that.

14. Arcitekt macrumors newbie

512gb ssd

I just ordered a new MB Pro 15.4, i7 with the new 512gb Samsung SSD. Because this drive uses Trim, it helps prevent slow down on writing to the drive once all of the sectors have been written once. The simple answer is that Trim (Windows 7) helps to erase the drive of deleted data. Other SSD's slow down by having to rewrite larger pieces of data 512kb versus 4kb. However, the Samsung 512gb size drives are just coming to market and do not appear on the open market yet, but are being shipped as $1300 add-on to MacbookPro. 5 days in counting to receive my new machine.

15. DaftMonk macrumors member

DaftMonk

As others have said, the OWC Mercury SSDs have absolutely amazing performance and one of the longest warranty's available - up to a stunning five years. They're definitely built to last – supposedly they're the most reliable SSD in existence! I've seen them perform in person, and let's just say I plan on getting one myself, as soon as possible. The price was just dropped $40 too!

I'm going to be grabbing the RE Pro, just in case I somehow have enough money for another identical drive. A RAID 0 stripe with two powerful SSDs is almost like starting a small singularity in your MacBook. :p

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/inte...xtreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Raid_Edition

16. Khryz macrumors 6502a

When do you think we'll see the biggest price drop?

Before the winter holidays? That would be a great Xmas present for myself. :D

17. MrCooperS macrumors member

18. klucy0914 macrumors newbie

Kingston v+ 128GB super

Had this, zero problem,trim support, 3 yr warranty. Price is very decent, around $260.

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It doesn't matter if the drive supports TRIM if the OS doesn't, like MacOS X.

If you have using your MacBook Pro entirely in Windows 7 then yes TRIM will be working. If the ssd is partitioned, TRIM will only be working on the windows partition. If you are only using MacOS X, TRIM is nonexistent.

There's other performance maintenance features of SSDs that are OS independent, but TRIM is not one of them.