suggestions for the previous iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KaraH, Oct 3, 2013.

1. KaraH macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 model and am debating what to do with it when I settle in to my 2013. Before the iMacs I would just say 'reuse the monitor' but that is not an option since you can not do that with the 2007s (unless you create a virtual monitor over ethernet). Both myself and my spouse have computers so it is not like I can foist the problem off either. While recycling is a nice thing for Apple to do, reuse is much more energy efficient.

Due to the iMac having a closed architecture some of the reuse possibilities are limited. For example, I can not put in a second ethernet board and just set it up as a firewall.

So any ideas?

2. richard13 macrumors 6502a

First thing that comes to mind is to sell it. This is what I plan to do with my mid-2010 once I order and get my new iMac. No, I don't know why I'm dragging my feet, probably because I'm waiting for Mavericks.

Another idea would be to put it in another part of the house. For instance, it could become the "kitchen computer" or the "downstairs computer". That way, you wouldn't always have to walk all the way back to your primary iMac

Similar to the last idea is to put it in your 2nd residence. I don't have one of these but a lot of people do. Maybe that would work?

You could also donate it to a local charity or school. I'm sure someone would be glad to take it off your hands.

3. KaraH thread starter macrumors 6502

One idea I just thought of is use it as a television. Hulu does not have captions on the bluray in the bedroom but the web version (and my livingroom setup) does. Ok, it will look odd having 2 screens in there, but it would work.

4. InTheMist macrumors member

InTheMist

eBay or repurpose it as a browsing tool in a room with no screens?

5. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

Set up a media server to stream music/movies/tv shows throughout your house?

Sell it.

Donate it.

Keep it as a backup in case your new machine goes down or needs some kind of repair.

6. KaraH thread starter macrumors 6502

I was taking that as understood. I meant something to do with it in the meantime so it was not just taking up space.

Looks like I will use it for a networked TV until I can think of something better.