Suggestions For Upgrading My Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slimreaper, Oct 3, 2011.

1. slimreaper macrumors newbie

Hi all, sorry if this is mundane, but could you point me in the right direction for upgrading my mac? Here's my situation,

I currently use a 2009 Macbook with a 250gb HD.

I never play games.

I use Skype frequently.

I sometimes download music and often upload videos to YouTube/vimeo.

Most of my work is with simple apps like Evernote, Numbers, and Pages.

I browse the internet and answer email constantly.

I go crazy when that beach ball thing starts spinning as a program loads ;)

I work as a freelance writer and personal trainer.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Macbook Pro 13 inch screen

8gb SDRAM

256gb SSD

Also, do you all have any recommendations for back up drives? I'm thinking about getting one of these:

Seagate 500gb
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4854ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjE2OTk1MDM&s=topSellers

Iomega 1TB Helium Portable Hard Drivehttp://store.apple.com/us/product/H6787ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MjU1MjExMTA

2. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

that seems like a good computer for your needs.

Any backup drive will basically work. I have a 2TB one, but that's only because I have a 750GB hard drive that's filling up... just make sure it's formatted in OSX Journaled or you can Format it to that format.

3. slimreaper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm buying a new computer

Thanks for the input, but I'm getting a new computer. I'm looking for advice on what kind of hardware it should have.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

5. simsaladimbamba

The basic MacBook Pro 13" or even 15" (if you want a higher resolution) or even all MBA models will suffice your needs.
    If you upgrade the RAM and HDD on the MBP, do it yourself and not via Apple, as Apple charges a premium for such custom orders.

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Have you thought of the air? The extra resolution might be helpful for you. But try them both out to see how they fit you.

Also, if you don't have a big budget to spend, you should upgrade the SSD+ram on your own, it will be a lot cheaper than buying from apple (check for the warranty policy first, though).

Also, don't buy that 150$ external drive, too expensive... Western Digital makes great HDDs for less money (http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...SQ9S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317684521&sr=8-1 for 100$).

I recommend the 13" air, and depending on your needs, 128 or 256gb.
    Don't buy the i7 one, it's pointless.

That's all from me.