Suggestions?: Neat or altruistic way to use old MBP screen and computer SEPARATELY?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amytrip, Oct 17, 2008.

1. amytrip macrumors newbie

So, over last few weeks, my old (aluminum circa 2004) MBP got into an argument with its screen: Short version: screen and computer both relatively ok -- it was the connection through the (weakend/wobbly) hinge that was stressed, then eventually causing feedback/crashes, and all this happened as I was getting ready to buy a new machine anyway. Already researched replacing hinge and wiring, and can't justify it. Basically, the screen and computer on their own each seem to work fine, though I think the airport card shorted out during the demise. What I am trying to think of is an interesting or altruistic way of using the screen and computer separately...If I detach the screen from the computer, I would expect no more weird crashes (it works fine, after a reinstallation of software, if I keep it closed and plugged into an external monitor). Of course, could sell for parts or some such, but kinda curious if anyone has any cool ideas (or warnings) about detaching the two pieces and repurposing them.

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I saw a great feature about turning an old MBP into a photo frame that hangs on the wall. I seem to remember the guy mounted the laptop behind the screen and installed a frame around the whole thing. It looked great.

3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

if it is ~2004 then it is a PB not MBP

I wouldn't think you would have any probs other than the wireless antenna in the screen, but if you hard wire it and maybe hook to an HDTV that would be a nice media center

4. amytrip thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, shoulin333 is correct...my old machine is a powerbook (what with all the researching the new machines, guess I already changed my internal lingo!)