Suggestions Needed - External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MKCLLNS, Aug 25, 2009.

1. MKCLLNS macrumors member

I'm after a new exetrnal drive and have been looking for a few weeks.

The specs I am after are-

1TB
    Firewire 800

and the lower the price the better.

At first i thought i found exactly want i needed -
    "The Western Digital 1TB My Book Studio Edition"

...although after reading a lot of reviews a large minority had troubles with this drive.

Anyone else got any suggestions??

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I'm in a similar situation and have been contemplating my options for while now so let me sum it up before someone here snips at you for 'not searching the forums...there's a millions threads on this'...

You're going to find proponents/opponents of every drive made--for everyone who loves the WD/Seagate/Iomega/LaCie/'build it yourself'/etc model XXXX, there will be another one who hates it. This applies to this forum or any other website with consumer reviews. All of the options mentioned have similar reputations so my suggestion is to pick one that gets above average reviews, that is the form factor you like with the options you need at a price you can afford and just get it. I've about driven myself mad trying to figure it out. Best advice I got was to get an external exclosure and use your preferred model of internal HDD as this offers you the ability to access/service the HDD on your own should you need to replace it, so that's what I'm going to do.

BTW, I currently have a WD My Book Studio 1 TB, have had it for about 2 months attached to my Time Capsule via USB to serve as storage for my media library which is streamed wirelessly to my :apple:TV and it's worked flawlessly during it's brief stay--haven't had to unplug/restart it, goes to sleep/wakes as it should, and even survived a lightning strike nearby at my next door neighbors. Only reason I'm changing is I'm setting up a new Mac Mini to serve as HTPC will have my library attached to it via FW 800 and need additional storage so I'm getting this with a pair of these. The WD will be used as additional backup to be kept offsite (yes, a bit paranoid, I know).

3. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I got the 2TB version of this back in April - and I got 2 of them, for about $230 each (recently I checked the price, and it's actually gone up to $269!). I have not had any problems. They are in constant daily use, never switched off. So far so good.

4. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I like the Fantom drives. Nice design, quiet operation, tend to use fairly reliable, high-performing HDDs internally. Worth looking into.