Suggestions Needed : MacBook Pro survived water spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BretSavage, Jan 16, 2017.

1. BretSavage macrumors newbie

Hello Friends,

I am facing pretty weird problem and looking for suggestions.

About 2 weeks ago, I accidentally spilled water (about half a glass) on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro - Mid 2012. Immediately turned it off and waited for couple of days. Thereafter when I tried, MacBook was not booting up. After numerous tries, went to see a Genius at Apple Store.

He inspected the machine, and came up with few photos to explain hard disk, logic board, memory were all gone. I still asked for repair cost. He quoted US$1,900/- and suggested I buy a new one as my MacBook was any way out of warranty.

I accepted the fate, and ordered a 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar/ ID. Bumped up the specs and delivery time was 2 weeks. I was waiting for my new MacBook to arrive.

Couple of days back, I restarted my old one. It showed same problem - not booting up. As I also had Windows 10 installed via bootcamp, something came to my mind to try that and guess what.. it worked!

Then I decided to reinstall MacOS to see if that worked, and it did. Thereafter I used Apple Hardware Test and it reported no issue.

Meantime, my new MacBook Pro has been shipped. When I tried to cancel the order, Apple Online Store did not allow me to. Instead I was asked to return the unit. However, I was told there will be a restocking fees of 15% (I am in Hong Kong) which is quite a substantial amount.

Now I am confused. I can't decide whether to continue with the old one or keep the new one.

I am afraid to think what if old one suddenly dies without any warning. The Restocking Fee is also a concern. At the same time, I want to actually upgrade next year, if possible.

Really don't know what to do. Your suggestions are welcome. I will be receiving the new one anytime now.

Thanks very much.

Bret

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Don't take your computer to Apple for anything besides warrantied repairs because non-warrantied repairs are almost always horribly overpriced.

Instead, take it to an unaffiliated third party repair shop.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

It depends on whether you needed an upgrade anyway or not. You mention that you wanted to upgrade next year if possible, does that mean you want to see if there's a spec bump in 2018? If not, then I would keep the new MacBook Pro that you ordered. The fact that the damage to your old MBP was visually apparent from the photos taken by the Genius and that your computer initially booted only from the Windows partition (which leads me to believe part of the hard drive may have permanent damage) can mean it could give out at any point now.

But if you feel confident using your old MBP and would rather wait for a revised tMBP, I would say the restocking fee is inconsequential in the long run, just a monetary lesson to be more careful with liquids around your computer in the future.

4. tubeexperience, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

This is bull****.

Apple always say that everything needs to be replaced.

Even if the only thing that need to be replace is the keyboard, Apple will quote you over a thousand dollars just for the sake of it.

OP: follow these instruction to remove the logic board.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...Display+Mid+2012+Logic+Board+Replacement/9725

You'll need to clean the logic board with 99% isopropyl alcohol.