Suggestions on 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chriscrk, Dec 31, 2015.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I'm thinking of selling my 15", early 2011 MBP next year to buy the Skylake one's that are meant to launch later on; however, I'm having trouble knowing at what price I should sell it, and can't find other models as mine on websites (I'm not from the US), plus the fact that my model has:

A brand new 500GB Hard Drive (got replaced because the previous one was failing)
    New fans
    1 year old battery
    1 year old logic board (because of radeongate)
    8GB Ram (updated from 4 I had originally)

So I've had the computer since early 2012, but the internals are far newer.

Any suggestions on prices? (can be in dollars, I'll just convert it to my currency)

(My only reference atm official stores selling a 13" MBP, with i5 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB, for about 850 dollars when converted from my currency to USD)

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you look at recently completed US eBay auctions, there are several on there that sold for right around $650 USD. You might be able to get a touch more because of the newer battery, but I don't think the other items add appreciably to the value.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH as Apple has never demonstrated a determined fix for radeongate, it still has the potential for it to occur again, that would be enough to put many buyers off that era of 15" completely.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH as Apple has never demonstrated a determined fix for radeongate, it still has the potential for it to occur again, that would be enough to put many buyers off that era of 15" completely.

5. Queen6, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same as my 2011 basically worthless barring breaking for parts or you will just be ripping someone else off. Your refurbished Logic Board will just fail again, likely in a shorter timeframe.

If you are set to sell it out, I suggest a price on the low side, as once it fails and the new owner does a little ground work they are likely not to be overly pleased having been knowingly sold an established lemon, or sell with full disclosure...

Full disclosure; I gave my 2011 15" MBP to my daughter, when it dies I will give/buy her a high tier 13" rMBP or XPS 13. The 2011`s battery is now done, even this I am reluctant to waste money on as the extended warranty will end shortly and the notebook has indication of Logic Board issue. At 4 years, 3 months old it very much represents poor value for money from Apple, very far from a "premium product", far closer to Acer, equally their prices reflect.

Q-6

6. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

That might be - or not. I got my late-2011 15" MBP logic board repaired three times (!) always b/c of dGPU failure (Radeongate). Which shows that firing dGPU tests at those logic boards works well :D

The one LB placed in last, however, did withstand all my brute force attempts and seems to be stable. At least up to now. Thus, apple may indeed have changed something when repairing and exchanging those boards.

7. MrAverigeUser, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

the extended warranty for the GPU issues will expire in less than two months.
    BTW: apple did this "extended warranty" not at all because they love their customers… they were about to lose at court in Canada - the "extended warranty" just prevents people talking about apple losing a process - that´s all.

The bad news:
    After february, everyone will have to pay 150-200 EUR (or about that in USD) for a new dGPU on your LogicBoard done by a professional service.
    The good news:
    As I was told, the TOP-ones of these enterprises are better (= more precisely) soldering the GPUs than apple´s "partners" - so it will perhaps last for a long time without any more problems.

8. MrAverigeUser, Jan 2, 2016

MrAverigeUser

The 15" MBP of 2011 and 2012 with hi-resolution (1680x1080) and anti-glareDisplays are highly appreciated by the buyers and sell easily at higher prices. After the 2012 Model there were no more antiglare screens mounted in apple products.
    Advantage of the 2012 model: Has finally got USB 3.0 (2010/2011 has just USB 2.0 - so you have to buy a Kanex TB-> USB 3.0 adapter for about 100 USD/EUR for fast exchange of bigger data packs)

I will stay with my 2011 and 2012 MBP until death will us take apart :D - and I still keep praying they will not fail :rolleyes::eek: . They are fast enough if SSD is installed - and these hi-res antiglare displays are just fantastic to work with. No fatigue of the eyes, no headache, no reflections, no mirror-effects…
    AND: these are the last MBPs with exchangeable RAM, HD/SSD, Battery and the option to install a second HD/SSD in the DVD-bay….

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't understand what your point is. The eBay auction prices I mentioned were for the exact year model machine the OP has.

10. thewap, Jan 2, 2016

thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

The MBP 2011 2.5ghz 15" sells anywhere from $650 to $2,000 on ebay depending on condition, features such as SSDs sizes - one or two, and battery etc. A good average would be around $850 if in very clean condition, more if with SSDs , and if was tested by Apple or the vendors, premium if re-balled.

The beautiful matt display is definitely a plus, and the serviceability of ram, battery and HD's ie (no glue or soldered component era), makes this model highly appreciated with good aftermarket value...and climbing !

11. MrAverigeUser, Jan 2, 2016

MrAverigeUser

Did the OP mention that he has a certain display? Did not read that.
    the hi-res version and the antiglare-version were customer options for the 2011/2012 models.

Nevertheless - my point is to make clear for other users who also want to sell their MBP that they will get more money if they point out the hi-res antiglare-option (if so)… do you understand me better now?

edit:

ok,after re-reading both postings I begin to understand your problem … I did NOT want to contradict your opinion, I even fully agree with you - I just wanted to add something.

12. MrAverigeUser, Jan 2, 2016

MrAverigeUser

That´s exactly what I wanted to say…
    Prices for these particular models are indeed stable/climbing (if in good condition and well-equipped)

edit:
    as for the MBP of the OP: No SSD, just standard equipment aside from 8 GB Ram (+50 USD) and perhaps +50 USD for the nearly-new battery. so shurely at the lower end of prices (600-750 USD)…

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Gotcha! :) Thanks for explaining.

14. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Pity about the dGPU, equally I absolutely agree with all regarding the Matt display, sadly Apple`s focus is on the average consumer, where consumption is the overriding factor, not productivity.

Q-6

15. MrAverigeUser, Jan 2, 2016

MrAverigeUser

Yes indeed.
    Same for the MacPros.
    Also there apple started 2013 into the new consumer policy: shiny and glittery, completely glued and soldered products… no more good (industrial) design but stylistic consumer products… with overpriced options (look at their prices for SSDs…) . The classic MacPro was an iconic industrial design - even the processors were exchangeable ! the new one is just ridiculous… and prices of the last classic MacPros (2009-2012) are stable/climbing because with a little investment you can upgrade these "old" ones to blow away even their "latest new" successors…
    2013 was the point of no return for apple… same for hardware (MBP, MP, iPhone 5) as for OSX/IOS software...
    Steve Jobs died in october 2011… I´d like to know whether he was still really author of this sad development (can´t really believe it) , more a silent spectator (near to his death) or no more concerned with it… we will never know.

Perhaps it has to do with the nowadays possible enormous performance - if you regard it in a clear way, 99% of the customers don´t at all need more performance than that possible with the hardware of 2011/2012. Digital Age has reached a certain asymptotic approach of the line where "More" isn´t more "More" - but "more than enough" or "more than needed"….

So apple needs to praise "thinner" and "more shiny", more stylish, fashion type products and to praise the fact that you can receive a phone call with your notebook…. They even sacrifice their old keyboard and touchpad for THINNER ones… this is really unbelievable…. apple´s era of pseudo-innovation started at least in 2013… and still gets worse and worse...

16. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Thanks for all the replies. It's in pretty good condition, but it has some dents on the aluminium obviously, and unfortunately the bottom is very scratched (although you basically never see it unless you turn the computer upside down). Would those things justify a much lower price?