Suggestions on 24" wide to go landscape mode for a 3rd screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CaptainJeff, Feb 11, 2010.

1. CaptainJeff macrumors member

I've got two 20.1" normal aspect monitors right now (Dell 2001FPs), both being driven by the GT120 in my Nehalem Mac Pro. I want to buy a third screen that I can put in portrait orientation to better display printed pages and I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations.

1) 24" widescreen aspect.
    2) Ability to stand in a portrait orientation (tall, not wide) with the default stand.
    3) Ideally a Dell model, since my other two screens are Dells (this would be nice, but is not essential).
    4) Hopefully somewhat cheap (~$300).

I see plenty of 24" models on the Dell site, but it is not clear to me which ones can be mounted portrait on the provided stand. I don't care about the screen being able to pivot; I intend to mount it portrait and leave it there.

Ideas on what to buy?

2. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Just a point to note, Jeff: Tall = "Portrait" orientation, and Wide = "Landscape" orientation. You're confusing the hell out of me by getting that backwards! :) (Just trying to help understanding here!)

BTW: One of the Dell 24" models seems the obvious choice, with their pivoting stands - hence allowing portrait mode ;). I think they ALL do this. You can't have looked far, if you can't find that in the spec.
    That's what "pivot" means. "Tilt" is face-up/face-down, "swivel" is left/right, "pivot" is around the screen's central axis.

They will also match your existing monitors in style, etc. eg Dell 2409 WFP... (Or the previous models 2408, 2407, if you're looking for cheaper...)

[​IMG]

3. CaptainJeff thread starter macrumors member

I always get the names wrong. My bad. :) I want tall, not wide. I have corrected the original post.

And most of the 24" on the Dell site do not include the pivot part of the description. Looking at the pictures of the back, some have the VESA mount that "should" work like this, but may not depending on how the VESA desk mount is built. I really don't care about the pivot function, as I don't intent to move it from one orientation to another...I will leave it in the tall mode, for which pivot may be overkill (I don't need it, but I would not refrain from buying one with it as it makes my question much easier to solve!).

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Please bear in mind that TN panels have horrible viewing angles, especially in portrait mode.
    Even the slightest movement of your head will change the picture.
    I currently have a 20" Dell in portrait mode besides my Cinema, but because of the viewing angle and overall picture quality of that TN panel, it will be replaced by a pair of HP2065 or Dell 2007FP that use IPS panels.
    From my own experience I can say that buying TN panels is just a complete waste of money, so do yourself a picture and invest a little more and get an IPS display.