Suggestions on a router?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by graphicwave, Jul 25, 2008.

1. graphicwave macrumors newbie

Here is my setup...
    iMac 20" core2 duo (late 2006)
    Dell PC (wired ethernet connection) with Windows XP Home
    PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 (wired ethernet connection) with Ubuntu 8.04
    (might install XP pro) as a media server.
    PS3
    12" Powerbook titanium 667mhz (no airport card)
    Here is what I would like to do...
    I need one computer for surfing, one computer for P2P/streaming TV shows/bittorrents, two computer sharing files back & forth & the PS3 playing online games all at the same time without one computer slowing down the connection for the other.
    I currently have 12mbps cable internet & everything running through a hub (yeah I know) right now and it pretty much sucks and drops the connection every night.
    I would prefer to have a gigabit connection and I don't always have the Powerbook on, so 4 ports will do. I can do wireless for the Imac & PS3, but I'll at least need 3 wired ports.
    Will a Airport Extreme be sufficient? One guy at Fry's said I should get a router AND a switch, but isn't there one device that can handle it?? Not looking to spend more than $200. ANY help/advise is appreciated!!

2. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

You can look into the Airport Extreme.

It has wireless as well as wired ports and a USB port so you can share 1 printer will all your computers.

3. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

An Airport Extreme Gigabit will handle your setup, np.

4. osin macrumors 6502

any gigabit router should be good for you.
    check out new linksys line for example: wireless routers

5. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I have a linksys WRT54G and its awesome. You can put 3rd party firmware on it if you want extra features, but it was half the price of an Airport base station when I bought it. It comes with 4 gigabit ethernet ports and decent wireless.

As the name suggests its only 802.1g, rather than N, but you wouldn't be able to use the N protocol as you are hooking up your PS3 and PC. I don't think you need a router AND a switch. You can have either. Switches are great, but I don't really think they are needed at home.

Anyway I've just moved into a new house and left my WRT54G at my parents for them to use. I've looked at the Time Capsule and the Airport Extremes, but I think I'd go with another WRT54G. It's definitely the best router I've ever had. I've never had any problems with it.

Oh and the 3rd party firmware allows you to use a feature which prioritises your traffic. So say for example you have your P2P machine downloading 24/7, you can prioritise your gaming traffic so your online PS3 gaming will not suffer even with all that downloading/uploading.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I do not recommend Lynksys routers. I own one and its nothing but headache. If you can install ddwrt that would be an improvement, but I'd rather fork the cash or a Buffalo router or Apple's.