Suggestions on adding external SSD to 2011 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AppleFan360, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Instead of getting the 2012 iMac, I was thinking instead of getting an external SSD with thunderbolt for my current 2011 iMac and booting from that.

My current iMac has a 1 TB internal hard drive and I'm using about 400 GB of that space.

What would be my best option for a SSD and where should I buy it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Nandifix macrumors 6502

It's going to be costly. Use the go flex adapter plus 256gb ssd.

3. rnb2 macrumors regular

Best deal on Thunderbolt SSDs right now is the Lacie Rugged - available in 120GB and 256GB. I know they have them at Powermax:

http://www.powermax.com/parts/code/PM_ST_TH

You can set it up as either OS and Apps on the SSD (would work fine with 120GB) and your data on the internal HD, or you could put some of your data on the SSD as well (if you got the 256GB) and keep only the largest chunks of data (iTunes media, iPhoto library, etc) on the internal.

4. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the help. How does it work after adding the external SSD? Do I need to re-install the OS or can I use my Time Machine backup?

5. AppleMooseMan macrumors regular

Use Carbon Copy Cloner if you want to install the OS on the external SSD

6. AppleFan360 thread starter macrumors 68020

What happens if my clone is bigger than the SSD?

7. juliazo macrumors newbie

CCC ftw! Then, use the Startup Disk option in System Preferences to make the new SSD the default boot device.

8. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

I think you will need to reduce your holdings down to fit on the new SSD, then make a CCC. You can do this by moving what large files you know of (movie, picture, or iTunes databases?) onto a third disk drive or separate partition on your larger HDD. Then make a CCC onto the SSD. Then boot from that, partition your other hard drive, and copy the files to their new permanent resting place on the HDD inside your iMac.

It may be easier to just set up your own Fusion drive, but this will require the use of a third external drive large enough to hold all of your files to allow you to reformat the external SSD and internal HDD to one Fusion partition.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/31/apples-new-fusion-drive-works-on-older-macs/

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

There are only 2 TB ports on the imac. If you use something like the Goflex adapter, it is at the end of the line. No daisy chain. I wouldn't invest any money in a TB drive or adapter with only one TB plug. More TB external options should be opening up in the next couple months I'm told.