Suggestions on All-In-One Printer for Mac/Vista

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Strangelove, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

As the title states, I am looking for a printer that will scan/print photos and regular documents. The environment at home is running both Mac and PC with an Airport Extreme in the mix. Ideally, a network printer is what I would be looking for but I assume if I get a USB model, that the Extreme can handle a USB hub so I can add the printer?

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd recommend Brother, as it will work in both OS's, and don't seem terrible on supplies. Particularly compared to HP. :)

Here's a list of network printers, with the All-in-Ones at the top. ;)

BTW, there are other threads on the forum. Some members like Epson, but I've not used one.

3. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the links, checking now. I have not owned a Brother before. Epson, HP, etc yes. The associate at the Apple store recommended Canon, thoughts?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Most of my experience has been with HP, Okidata, Brother, Lexmark, Xerox and Minolta, lasers in particular. Supply costs were getting out of hand on ink jets, and I've gone with lasers. More expensive on the front end, but cheaper overall when you figure in consumables. ;)

Other members have commented on Canon, and would be better able to provide details. Decent enough from the posts I've read.

My biggest problem with HP has become with their supplies. They've designed them to expire, used up or not. :mad:

5. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully since today is Monday, I can get some more input from others?

6. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

My choice would be Canon. Reasons?
    •Compatibility - really good with Macs
    •Functionality
    •Reliability
    •Economy
    •Affordability

7. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

8. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Wow! That is a top-shelf printer. US$300 according to http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=116 or $281 at SW http://www.superwarehouse.com/Canon_multifunction_printers/b/51/c/1862
    I note on Amazon that there is now a 980 model available @ US$300. The 970 will probably drop in price over the next week or two as suppliers push the newer model.

9. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Wow! That is a top-shelf printer. US$300 according to http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=116 or $281 at SW http://www.superwarehouse.com/Canon_multifunction_printers/b/51/c/1862
    I was going to suggest the 470 or 620.
    I note on both Amazon and CanonUSA that there is now a 980 model available @ US$300. The 970 will probably drop in price over the next week or two as suppliers push the newer model.

10. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Apologies for the dual response, caused by a connection delay and an attempt to edit my reply.

11. jeffrow1 macrumors newbie

might want to look at HP Officejet Pro L7555.... at Costco for $200. Consumables are 1/3 the cost of a lot of other printers. Bigger footprint but possibly more durable , I have owned one for several months. Too new for me to rate but happy so far.

12. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

13. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I just wanted to add that if you do end doing printer sharing you won't be able to scan from it with different computers. I don't know about the AEBS, but if you connect it through USB to one computer you can't scan with another. If it is ethernet I'm not entirely sure.

15. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

I do have a Time Capsule on my network now and I was planning on connecting it to that. You sure I cannot scan from it?

16. cube macrumors G5

I like the size of the Samsung CLX-3175FN, but it doesn't do automatic duplexing.

I am not sure if it would be acceptable for photos (that was not my interest when looking at it).

17. pendo macrumors regular

Anybody have experience with the newer Kodak printers? I like that they have a seperate 4x6 tray, and the ink is way cheaper.

Thanks

18. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

No. You can't scan through the Time Capsule or any router as far as I know. It has to be connected directly to a computer.

You do know that you can share a printer through USB on bonjour right? That way when you actually have to scan you can scan it to the computer that is connected to it and then you can print wirelessly through bonjour as long as the computer connected to it is awake. (Should be a desktop). You still won't be able to scan unless you are connected through USB.

19. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, I always thought network printers allowed you to scan from wherever.

I am still looking for input on all of this if anyone has any. My current printer just died today so this has been pushed towards top priority.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Avoid HP, they are back in the habit of dropping AIOs continuously on the Mac OS X side.

Quite a few times they have a message that a driver update is in the works to fix a problem on Mac OS X side, only to have that printer dropped into the unsupported printed basked for the new OS.

---

If you do go with HP, always stick to the copier type that will still copy the documents if the driver for the scanner gets zapped.

21. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

22. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

23. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Hope I'm not too late, but check out the new Epson Artisan 800 - great all in one machine with wireless, ethernet or USB connectivity, and Epson's awesome photo printing (which I think is much better than either HP or Canon, currently.)

This machine lets you do lots of creative things, as well as the more mundane stuff most people use all in ones for.

24. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Still haven't ordered, will tonight though. I will read up on that printer, I do like Epson.

25. Dr Strangelove thread starter macrumors regular

Ended up getting the MP980 and will update once I have installed it.