Suggestions on best use of external drives

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by muskett32, Sep 15, 2009.

1. muskett32 macrumors member

So, here's my situation. Have (or will have) and iMac with 1TB hard drive. I have about 300GB of video on an external hard drive. What would be the best (and safest) way of doing things? Here's what I'm thinking:

1) Put all my videos on the iMac hard drive and backup to external HD with Time Machine or SuperDuper or both.

or

2) Keep all my videos on an external drive, which would free up space on my iMac, and sync this external to another external. Still backup my iMac to a third external HD.

What do you guys do with all your video files? I'm looking for the best way to not only save space on my iMac, but also keep the files backed up properly.

Thanks!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

here is what I am going to do within the next few months.

Now I know this is going to be redundant, but with HDD and physical media being so cheap, why not.

I am going to buy two 750GB or similar capacity external HDs. I see them all the time for like $80. I can then burn them to a DVD (DL) and have a "digital copy" as well, just incase (when) the HD will fail. This particularly important for photos! I have lost photos before, because i didn't back up:mad:

That is what i would do. I am also going to upgrade the internal HDD of my MBP as well, from 250 (5400rpm) to a 500GB 7200 drive.