Suggestions on dealing with keyboard issue...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kjvmartin, Apr 3, 2017.

1. kjvmartin macrumors member

I have a few months old non touch bar MacBook Pro.

Back in February, the control key failed to where about 50% of all keystrokes didn't register. They ran some tests at the Genius Bar, told me the keyboard and casing needed a full replacement, and shipped my guitar out for a week.

One week after I got it back, the reduce brightness key started missing some keystrokes. I took it to the Genius Bar, where he was able to reproduce the issue, but his first line of response (missing at my last visit) was to offer a cleaning. He said this had to be done in the back using special tools, and took my computer away for about 10 minutes. Upon return, the key was working at about 95%. It seemed 100% to the genius, and his suggestion was to continue making Genius Bar appointments when the issue arose for cleaning. He also told me they only replaced 1 key at my last service appointment, which is different than I was told prior.

Tonight, I was playing an online game and my X key started going out. The issue seems most prominent under heat load (3D graphics). As I type this, it's fully functional, but I can assume that once I get the computer under load again it will be intermittent. The genius said these keyboards are much more sensitive to any foreign objects than the last ones. I cannot live in a bubble, and I don't like protective covers. As an aside - why do only keys on the left side of the keyboard start to fail? I'm interested in a permanent fix or a refund, which they told me essentially my only option is to continually bring it back in. Any suggestions on dealing with Apple on this issue?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I don't think they're likely to give a refund. They might replace the keyboard, but that may not be a permanent fix either. Have you tried compressed air? Some people have had success with that. Fairly cheap to try. Or you can become a keyboard repairman yourself, and take the key off to clean underneath it.

3. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Sanpete might be right, but let me offer a word of warning and advice.

These key caps are incredibly delicate, I'd say more so than the 12" MacBook. They are so thin they are prone to very easily snapping in two under even minor pressure. The clips themselves are more delicate than I've ever seen on a key. The previous generation was incredibly durable and could take a lot of abuse. Not so here. I consider myself a tech wizard and am never afraid of digging into something. I broke my '3' key (it was sticking) moments ago and had to order a replacement.

Only play with these things if you're prepared to break them and have exhausted any and all other logical means. At best, go to Apple or an Authorized Service provider. These are very expensive machines after all...