Suggestions on how to set up my first Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by frank4, Oct 30, 2011.

1. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

The magic machine is going to be landing on my desk very soon. It's a humble refurb base Mini, current model with Lion, 2GB RAM, 500 GB HD. I'm a long-time user of non-Apple computers.

I was wondering about a few things. Please add any other tips you may have:

1 - Should I partition the HD or is this no longer very useful?

2 - I was thinking about setting up an admin account that would be used by myself only for potentially dangerous things, and set up a "standard" user account I'd use for daily computer activity. And maybe another standard account for friends who drop in. Good idea for security?

3 - I'll initially use the base 2 GB RAM as I expect it's enough for websurfing and a few iLife apps, but I'll eventually swap in 8 GB non-Apple RAM. How critical is the quality of the third party RAM these days? Can I use just about any chips bought in a big computer parts store? I hate the idea of random system crashes and glitches caused by bad RAM. I might get OWC's RAM or similar hopefully excellent chips even though I'm not in the USA and delivery is a bit of a hassle.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

When you get some spare cash, I'd bump that up to 4GB. Much better than 2GB, and 8GB is most probably overkill for a Mini.

No point.
    They say it's a good idea, but I don't bother myself (though I'm brilliant about security... so I can do things things, lol...

Yep that's what I have.

Check out an eBay store called "tubabug", they've got great prices on second-hand memory. I've bought form there many times, can't remember the brands, I think one pair of sticks was Samsung, and another was original Apple stuff.