Suggestions on Memory For a Macbook Pro???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by giftsandcurses, May 4, 2009.

1. giftsandcurses macrumors newbie

I am looking at finally upgrading the memory on my 15 " Unibody Macbook Pro from the stock 2GB it arrived with to 4GB (2x2GB). I have already upgraded the hard disk, but when it comes to the RAM, I cannot decide which brand to go with.

I have read through the forums and most users tend to recommend Crucial since it is related to the parent company Micron. But I also see that some users have had compatibility issues with this set. I built my own PCs for years, so I am familiar with verifying the configuration and the installation process, all that jazz, but regarding reviews and ratings of "laptop" memory, I am at a loss. I was also looking at this set of RAM from Mushkin or Patriot. Mushkin didn't seem to have any issues with installation in the MBPs and I haven't heard anything about Patriot. Any recommendations or warnings? Thanks in advance.

:apple: ________________________________
    15" Unibody Macbook Pro
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    500 GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue
    2GB DDR3 RAM (1066 MHz)
    Seagate FreeAgent Pro 500GB External

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I only buy memory from two places, crucial and OWC. Both offer lifetime warranties and offer excellent customer service. What good is a lifetime warranty if a company doesn't send out replacements or you have to argue with them.

I've never had any issues with the quality of the ram with crucial or OWC, they're always up to spec for the apple computers.

3. giftsandcurses thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I think I will try and go with the Crucial then, just b/c of the price. It was on sale at Newegg, but looks like I missed out on the discount. I used to Kingston on my desktop with no hickups, but I don't see enough reviews of their laptop memory to get a comfortable feeling yet.