Suggestions on memory for new i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mumper, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mumper macrumors member

Anyone have good suggestions for where I can pickup 4 or 8gigs of ram for my new i7? I have heard that Crucial is good but I would like to go with Newegg. Newegg did not seem to have very good deals on the ram though, looked like $120 or so for 4gigs. Does this sound right? Does anyone know of a better place to pick up some ram for this beast?

2. meirvin macrumors member

3. stukdog macrumors 6502

4. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

5. filmgirl macrumors regular

filmgirl

I was able to get 4 extra GBs of Crucial stuff from Newegg. Great price at the time. OWC makes great stuff too, though they can sometimes cost more.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Newegg if you don't have to pay tax is where I would order from. Probably the best prices you will find and great customer service. Watch for memory deals on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

7. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

(ahem):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130346808957

Isn't this $24 (22%) cheaper? No shipping, no tax. Is this not compatable or something? What am I missing?

8. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

I have a pair of DDR3 Samsung 2x2gb (4gb total) perfect matching with the original modules that came out of my i7.

Same Samsung part# and everything, willing to let it go for 90 shipped within usa. Paypal confirmed address accepted.

pics will be provided as requested, pm me if interested:D

9. fruitpunch.ben macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

that RAM is certainly compatible.
    Almost made me buy some straight away. Great price, crucial RAM comes with a great track record.
    The only thing i'd be worried about buying from ebay is how to claim warranty if they are defective.

10. EddieGDub macrumors newbie

There is peace of mind buying from OWC or Crucial because of lifetime warranties. OWC will send you replacement as soon as you say you have a problem. Also anytime I have ordered from OWC they gave me an upgrade to Samsung.

11. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Buying the Crucial RAM from that eBay seller is probably fine but with me personally when it comes to hardware I usually only buy from authorized retailers I know and trust due to warranty concerns and if I need to return the product for any reason.

I would make sure the RAM from that seller you linked is new and never been opened because it says brand new in the listing but then right under that it says well tested so not sure if they mean they've been tested to make sure they're not DOA or what. Personally I'm kind of particular about things like that and I prefer noone opening my products testing them for me when I'm buying brand new factory unopened.

12. Roy43 macrumors newbie

Yes, but it shows one picture, but sez picture is for illustration only, but product is described. Dont like that double talk. I want to see a photo of the actual product. It also says "well tested"! So, what does that mean???

ALSO, look at their feedback , Negative 46 302 714 (one month, 6 months, 12 months) No way I would buy from them!

13. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

14. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

I appreciate you taking pictures of your ram, but honestly there is no reason to spam this thread with you wanting to sell your ram and how someone should buy your stock Samsung ram since it is matching. Please take it elsewhere.

15. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

16. sfmountainbiker macrumors regular

Boy, talk about showing one side of the picture:

Recent Feedback Ratings (last 12 months)

1 month 6 months 12 months

Positive 5442 32063 104979
    Neutral 39 225 582
    Negative 48 303 716

So, as a %, the negative ratings equate to 0.9%, 0.9%, and 0.7%. That means that roughly 99.1% of buyers are happy with the seller.

No way you would buy from them? From this forum, I'd say this seller has higher positive feedback than Apple! :p

17. flynz4 macrumors 68040

So their negative ratings have increased since a year ago. Add me to the camp of not buying from them. I bought my 4GB for my i7 from OWC for the reasons others have said.

/Jim