Suggestions on personal finance software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hkim1983, Jun 28, 2012.

1. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I am looking for personal finance software to do the following:

-Keep track of my expenses and allow me to elaborate on what exactly happened (similar to journal entries, actually, I don't mind journal entries at all).

-Tabulate accumulated expenses at the end of the month or allow the option to create reports with charts. If this isn't possible, at least provide the option to export the data into Excel.

-Creating a budget. Allowing myself to compare actual costs versus budgeted costs through horizontal analysis. I do not need the ability to create flexible budgets, static is fine.

That's it. I don't need to do bank reconciliations, I do not need online bill pay, I do not need to generate checks, and I currently have no investments or notable equity to keep track of. I am open to Windows (through virtualization software, I need to use Windows anyway for Excel) or OS X. Preferably, I'd prefer if it wasn't...exorbitantly priced considering what I'm looking for. I can probably do this all in Excel...but I would really prefer avoiding excessive data entry redundancy, and I'm not familiar enough with Excel to program macros.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just suck it up and learn macros? Thanks in advance for any help!

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I personally use iBank. Tried just about all of them, this was the only one I liked best. You can try it free for 30 days from their website. If you like it they also have an iPhone app you can use to keep track on things on the road.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've been using Money by Jumsoft for years. great little app but i don't need much either.