Suggestions on Selling Iphone 6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whyrichard, Mar 5, 2016.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I got a brand new iphone 6s from att, 128gb. I do not need it and want to sell it, and I was hoping for suggestions on how to get a fair price without endless haggling (craiglist is paintful).

How much should it go for? It seems they are selling on ebay for around $800, yet people on craigslist are asking for $650.

What is the simplest way to sell this thing?

Thanks!
    r.

2. BruceButtcheeks macrumors member

BruceButtcheeks

Swappa is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned, I've never had an issue selling on there.
    As far as price you might want to see what they are going for on there then decide what you want!
    Good luck

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I agree with the Swappa suggestion. I buy and sell there.

4. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Swappa no question. I'm a member there. You'll get a good idea of the market value of your phone too with current listings.

5. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

I've used eBay for years but never Swappa. How does Swappa differ and why is it preferred?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The reason people on Craigslist ask $650 versus ebay's $800 is because you have to account for fees. You can immediately reduce that $800 by about 12% for eBay auction feed and Paypal fees. That leaves you $704. Factor in shipping and insurance (required to be covered) and you're looking at another $20, give or take.

eBay nets you roughly $35 more in profit and the risk is infinitely greater. iPhones are a hot scam item and it can be a PITA, if nothing else, to have to fight a claim.

$650 isn't a bad price. If it's brand new, particularly unopened AND you can provide proof of purchase it's likely to move very fast. Price it. Say you're firm and that you'll ignores my low balls and do just that. If you price something at the going rate, in my experience, it will move just fine without haggling.

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

They ask you for the IMEI prior to the listing, and also a photo "proof" of your device with the screen on together with a code. They check that just to make sure you're the actual owner of the device, and they run the IMEI to make sure it's good.

Other than that, Swappa only has a fee of $10 and is paid by the buyer. I've sold my phone there a few weeks ago and I was satisfied, prompt payment by the buyer and good communication. The prices listed there too are pretty standard.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Swaps is just like eBay is only as good as the buyer. I had a swaps buyer return a phone to me after he used it and had buyers remorse. Same thing like eBay. I would rather sell a $600 item on Craigslist. Once I have the cash the sale is final. With payola the buyer has 45 days to return for a full refund for whatever reason.

9. MistahMumford macrumors 6502

MistahMumford

I've bought 3 and sold 2 phones on Swappa. The most recent purchase was my gold 64GB 6S. It was as MINT as the seller said it was. The ONLY reason I even still have my Craigslist account is for buying/selling non-technology items.

eBay is a non-starter for me!

10. JohnApples macrumors 65816

The only time I used Swappa, I had a somewhat negative experience. Bought a supposedly new 6S as a gift for $450, which was the lowest listing on there for an unlocked, like-new condition 6S. Upon receiving the phone, I discovered that the phone would not accept a SIM card. Would rapidly flash from "T-Mobile" to "No SIM", and I tried it with several other SIM cards. I say a somewhat negative experience, because the Swappa staff was very quick to help, and I ended up getting a brand new 6S from Apple.

Despite this, I would use Swappa again. The speed and "seriousness" (so to speak) of the staff to assist me due to the issue was superb, and of course I ended up with a brand new phone, so I can't complain.

11. 617aircav Suspended

How did swaps help you get a brand new phone from Apple?

12. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I guess technically Swappa didn't do much, but when I first discovered the flaw, I notified them and immediately was contacted back. They got the seller to join in the discussion and after a little back and forth, I agreed that I would cancel the "claim" if Apple would replace my phone for free, and they did.

Had this not happened though, I know Swappa would've held the seller responsible and I'm sure I would have gotten my money back because they took the situation very seriously.

13. xixi.li macrumors regular

Swappa makes it safe and easy to buy and sell gently used mobile devices. low-cost, secure, and easy to use.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Ok you were able to get a refurbished from Apple since the phone was still under warranty. Makes sense now.

15. vcof2005 macrumors member

16. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31