Suggestions on software to keep notes etc etc for Studying

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Siriosys, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi,

I'm an adult student getting into Tertiary study for the first time and was wondering what apps for the Mac may exist that would enable me to store all the various Notes I'll be 'writing/typing'.

I then want to be able to easily retrieve the notes or whatever content at a later time - especially around exam time for swotting.

I was thinking about MacJournal, but was wondering if anybody had any other ideas of what apps may be able to do this.

I know I can type the notes up in Pages or Word, but I'm wanting something a bit more structure and somewhere I can also keep external attachments like PDF's, various excel worksheets etc etc etc.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. juliainor macrumors member

I use Papers exclusively and love it. I type up my general notes that aren't tied to a specific document in Pages and then send it to Papers as a PDF. Likewise with documents that I want to save and make notes on - I send them all to Papers as PDFs through Preview. I then use the Notes panel in Papers to make all my comments.

It works flawlessly for me and keeps all my academic work in one place. It took me a while to decide what works for me; I tried Yojimbo, Together, Notebook, and a bunch of other stuff... but ultimately, I wanted my school work all living together in one place and not intermixed with personal/family and work information.

5. Readinglevelup macrumors member

Readinglevelup

Looks like you've all already mentioned the good applications.

I saw an ad of Cram, so I figured I'd at least post it. haha

http://www.mupromo.com/deal/1101/4438/cram

I don't know about you, but I don't need to have it that intensively organized. I just put all my PDF's in a folder and whatever else in the same folder. It works for me so far, but I might try some programs like these sometime.

6. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i jsut got Evernote for my mac and iphone, seems promising. also my lecturer showed us a website called iPadio that lets you use your phone as a dictaphone type thing and can upload them to the internet, it also can transcript them into text which was certainly impressive to say the least. i'm now contemplating getting someone record my lectures :D

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

8. Siriosys thread starter macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hey thanks ppl for the great suggestions!

Well, after a little searching around I discovered I already had a license for Circus Ponies! Thanks to an old MUPromo bundle from some time back. Woohooo!!!...........I don't even have to spend money!

FIrst impressions are quite promising. It certainly is more suited to what I'm wanting to do than MacJournal would have been able to provide so here's hoping.......

I'm still curious about the others, and funny enough I noticed the Cram app on MacUpdate just this morning so I'll at least download and try them out, although I do like what I've seen of CP already.

Cheers and thanks again