Suggestions on this monitor...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arthursiew, Nov 16, 2008.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I am looking into buying the Samsung ToC T240HD as a small and first HDTV. It's 1080P and it's not expensive at $460 from Newegg and other stores. I am wondering whether I should get it or not. I am looking to use it for some high-def PS3 gaming, watching TV and using it as my monitor for my MB. This TV/Monitor will be in a small room, so 24" is a great size. Will this be a good choice for my needs?

I was also thinking about purchasing around the Thanksgiving Week. Do you think there will be a special deal on this during Black Friday or Thanksgiving?

I'm also thinking about the 25.5" model now. It's about $100 more and I was wondering whether it's worth the extra money for an extra 1.5"? If it's worth it, do you think there's any differences between the two other than the screen size?

Thanks!

Here's the product link...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280&Tpk=T240HD

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...e=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24TDNSUV/ZA

2. Malivar macrumors member

The monitor can't move (The stand doesn't tilt) that's a good thing to keep in mind.

3. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Any suggestions?
    I decided to get a 24" model, but I have one more quick question before purchasing it. Is there going to be a big difference when I use it for gaming on the PS3 and 360 in terms of screen size? The room is about 100 inches for the height and the furthest place that I would sit in is approximately 68 inches. Is the 24" going to be good enough? I am going to purchase it at Best Buy for the 18 months financing.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Not only does the stand not tilt, but the unit cannot be mounted on any sort of articulated arm or wall mount. There are no screw holes for a VESA atachment on the back. I got the 2493HM from samsung instead. Similar specs, awesome contrast ratio, vga, dvi and hdmi in. I have my laptop, HD cable box and mini all connected to the beast.

Going from the 22" monitor was awesome. Going up to 25 is too large for close work for me. The 24" was a nice compromise so I could watch TV without squinting and not have to move my head while doing desk work.

Check out these online prices for the 2493:
    http://www.google.com/products?clie...a=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

5. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Not planning on mounting it. I don't exactly care about the tilting option. I think it's going to be okay for me without those options.