Suggestions on trimming boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SJ27CAL, Nov 17, 2010.

1. SJ27CAL macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz. I have 8GB of ram from OWC & 60GB (8GB left) OWC Mercury SSD. My current boot time is 18.7 seconds, this is the best I can get it too after doing maintenance with OnyX. Are there any other suggestions that you guys can recommend? A friend with the new MacBook air does it in 14.5 seconds, although it is with a fresh install and the SSD/Flash is new.

Thanks for any suggetions!

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about leaving the machine in sleep mode instead of shutting down the system? That should speed it up!! no?

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Also drains battery.
    System preferences:
    Accounts:
    Login Items:
    The less thats here the better ;)

4. toxic macrumors 68000

use less RAM. it will POST faster that way.

seriously, 4 seconds doesn't make a difference. get over it or put it to sleep.

5. Str8edgepunker, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

After putting up with the laborious boot times and hours of messing around with the Extension Manager in Mac OS 9, I can safely say that my MBP boots up fast enough. So leave it alone, because it's not worth tearing your hair out over.

Oh and that MBA SSD is a special one AFAIK.

6. SJ27CAL thread starter macrumors newbie

Well we were competing on which is fastest so that sleep option won't work but your right, sleep option is way faster.

Right...

Are you being serious or just playing around?

What is so special about the SSD in the MBA? It is just a toshiba x-blade that has lower write/read times than OWC. Am I missing something?

7. Kauai macrumors 6502a

As far as I'm aware the new MBA's don't even use SSDs or any type of drive if you want to be specific. They use flash memory, like your iPod, iPhone or iPad would. Hence why they can start up so quickly.

I may be wrong but this was my understanding.

8. Mantasis macrumors member

Aren't SSDs, flash memory :confused:

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

exactly, he just doesn't know apparently..

10. Kauai macrumors 6502a

The fact that Apple advertises it as Flash on the MBAs and SSDs everywhere else threw me off. :D

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"My current boot time is 18.7 seconds, this is the best I can get it too after doing maintenance with OnyX."

That's pretty durn good for a MacBook Pro.

Even the new MacBook Airs) take about 15 seconds from power-on to desktop.

My MBPro (with a conventional HD) takes at least 45 seconds or more to boot.

I suggest you brag about the 18.7 seconds with a smile. I seriously doubt you're going to trim more than a half-second off that no matter what you do. Does one-half of one second really make that much of a difference?

12. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Yes.

1. Buy a non-SSD hard drive.
    2. Install it.
    3. Install Snow Leopard.
    4. Calculate its boot time and compare to yours with the SSD.
    5. When you see your machine taking nearly a minute, compared to a quite speedy 18.5 seconds, sit back and say "wow, I was totally obsessing".
    6. Sleep your machine instead of shutting it down, thus no need to even care about cold boot time.
    7. Done.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Sleep the machine, why even bother shutting it down?

14. GAmacbook macrumors newbie

Stop the obsession. Sleep the MBP and you take a chill pill too...
    18.7 sec is fats enough...I have 15" MBP with Intel G2 SSD and my boot time is 9sec. But hey...who cares about the boot time. I got the ssd for the sheer speed of using multiple applications...

15. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

16. toxic macrumors 68000

the less memory you have, the less memory there is to test. Mac Pro users are well aware of this since those with huge amounts of RAM have to wait awhile for their computers to POST.

and seriously, get over it. saving four seconds will not make you more productive or make your life any better. in fact, you could have saved loads of time by not trying...