Suggestions on upgrades from OWC for Unibody MBP 15.4"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OngL, Feb 17, 2009.

1. OngL macrumors member

I just converted myself from Windows to Mac from late last year and still getting a lot to catch-up. Since then, I have an iMac Alu and MBP Unibody. It's quite difficult to get accessories for Mac in here, so I'm thinking to get some from OWC.

I appreciate if fellow members can advise me on the following:

1) eSata expresscard: Apiotek or Sonnet
    It seems the Sonnet is quite famous and perceived to be of higher performance and pricier. The normal Sonnet e-SATA dual port cost almost $100, while the Pro one is double than that. Apiotek is half of the normal Sonnet one.

In the webpage, they mentioned about having dual dedicated ports, while I couldn't find anything on Apiotek.

I have one unbranded e-Sata 1 port bought locally, cost me almost the same as Apiotek and doesn't work that well.

Anyone has a good experience with both cards? Is it worth to pay the premium and get the Sonnet (normal) one?

2) Kensington 200w Auto/Car DC to AC Inverter. 1 x AC Outlet, 1 x Powered USB Port, + 1 x 12V Auto

I looked for Car charger for MBP sometimes ago, and could only find a modified car charger. The conclusion from Apple discussion forum, the price is not worth it. Now I just stumbled to this in OWC. Does it work with MBP unibody?

3) Expresscard Firewire dual 800 or dual 400
    Again, Sonnet vs Apiotek... ?

4) Firewire adaptor FW800 -> FW400
    Is it worth it? The Sonnet cost 1,5 then OWC's one.

5) Expresscard USB 4-port
    I just read it is not powered, just wondering if this is a good option to get/expand two built-in port or a hub.

Thanks in advance.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Soooooo what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Having the most ports possible or something?

The reason i ask is because FW800 (or FW400) devices can be daisy chained together and feed off of the same port.

eSata would be nice but the only problem is that eSata doesn't transfer power over the cable so your devices will have to be plug into a AC adapter or powered by USB, which quite frankly i'd rather just run one FW800 cable to a portable drive.

As for the car charger I'm pretty sure any power converter will work as long as it is higher than 85w (or 90w can's remember) to power your MBP.

3. OngL thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps a Firewire is not a must but a different bus on Firewire may be faster. Logically, the Firewire expresscard uses PCI-E bandwidth which is 2.5 Gb/sec, so that a totally different bus from the FW800. Having a copy of two FW devices on separate bus should make it faster?

Secondly, I am asking around so that I don't get burnt again buying a lemon express card.