Suggestions on VOICE RECORDER App?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KnightGunner, Apr 16, 2009.

1. KnightGunner macrumors newbie

I have only had my iPod Touch 2G for about 3 months now. It is awesome BTW ... I FINALLY found a good mic (fingers crossed that it works as advertised!) for recording interviews and lectures for work. Since some of these recordings maybe used for future presentations etc as well as doing my own voice additions for presentations i need A GOOD VOICE RECORDER app.

Can anyone out there offer me PRO's and CON's on voice recorder apps they have used and liked, disliked, etc. I don't care if it's free, if I have to pay so be it but it HAS TO BE A GOOD app.

Looking forward to anyone's input/suggestions. Thanks everyone.

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

If you could get a beta version of the 3.0 firmware, I'd say go with that. Apple's voice memos app (in 3.0 only) syncs with iTunes and saves your recordings directly to a playlist on your computer (it also offers a few other features that only Apple can right now, like a status bar when you switch apps mid-recording and the ability to run in the background).

If you don't want to update before it becomes official (or can't get a legit copy and a dev to add you to their registered devices list), I strongly suggest you use the Note2Self app ($1.99). They were among the first to support the iPod touch for audio recording, and will likely maintain their app better when new firmware versions come out (if they affect it's stability and recording abilities). For most other developers, the iPod touch takes the back seat, and isn't even considered until long after they perfect their apps for the iPhone (if at all). They have good customer service, and the app lets you email the audio to other people if you need to.

If you want a free audio recorder, VoiceNotes seems to be pretty good, although I haven't tried any others for quite some time. I'd say get VoiceNotes, and if it doesn't do the trick move on the Note2Self or another paid app ;).

3. KnightGunner thread starter macrumors newbie

pismodude2,

THANK YOU very much for the inforamtion. Your post is exactly the kind of info I was seeking. I will look into and see if I can find the release date or estimated date for the actual 3.0 firmware. I don't like messing around with ANY type of Beta programs/apps, etc., so I will look further into the 2 apps you suggested and see which offers more of what I need.

The info you provided about the iPod Touch taking the back seat for most devs was interesting. I never knew that but then again I'm new to the iPod anyway :) .. That is info I will keep in mind for other apps.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and offer your advice. It is appreciated. Later, Ed

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

All the ones I tried all do what they're supposed to. I tried quite a few, but I don't actually have specific quality needs, so can't make huge comments.

iTalk Recorder. I have the free version with ads - I didn't like this, as it racks up data charges (at the time I had it). Has its own sync app.

QuickVoice.

Record.

SpeakEasy.

Out of the above, I ended up settling on SpeakEasy, mostly because the interface was appealing. It actually syncs to iTunes library, but does so by searching the backups and dumping the files in iTunes. You have to run the script. Simple enough, however. I'm looking forward to just suing the Apple one when 3.0 comes out.

5. KnightGunner thread starter macrumors newbie

mrkgoo,

Thanks for the response and info. ... I will also look into those this weekend.

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I use iTalk Recorder and I think it works great.

It is quick to start up and you can start a new recording with 1 click. You can adjust the quality of the recording, and it is easy to get the recordings onto your Mac or PC.

I use it all the time to record demos of my band.

7. logicat2001 macrumors regular

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

iTalk seems to work pretty well. I've used the free and paid versions and think wither one is fine. I'm using it on a 32GB 2G Touch with Apples Earphones with built in mic and remote.

You're going to want a better mic.

9. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

10. Neebee macrumors 6502a

I dont recommend Voicenotes for lectures or any recordings over 120 minutes. Voicenotes won't synch, at least on a PC on files longer than this. The programmer/creator is nowhere to be found. The programmers email address is garrett@csh.rit.edu but he has no fix.

11. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Does the 3.0 update on the iPod Touch have the Voice Recorder App?

12. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

13. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

It does on the 2nd Gen Touch.

[​IMG]

14. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Nice screenshot. It even shows the % of battery left. Cool.