Suggestions on where to keep MBP on desk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rayansud, Jan 12, 2012.

1. rayansud macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I've been having a bit of an issue here. When I first bought my MBP, I kept it on my wooden desk, but I was afraid that it might cause some damage to the desk. So, I put a cotton towel underneath it. Recently though, I read on some sites that this could cause overheating or burns to the MBP. Please advise me on whether I should keep it on my desk, on the towel, should I buy and use a laptop cooling pad or stand or what???

It's a 13" unibody MacBook Pro, early 2011, dual core Intel Core i5 2.3 GHz. 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2, 320GB hard drive.

Thanks,
    Rayan.

2. simsaladimbamba

You could buy one of the stands to keep it elevated and have a better viewing angle and less neck strain, but if the towel is not blocking the fans, you are alright. Or is your CPU constantly at high use, thus it has a high temperature?

3. satchow macrumors 6502

Yeah, don't use the towel, it can really trap in the heat and possibly cause damage to your MBP. I think your desk will be fine from the heat, but of course I've never seen the desk. I'd suggest getting the laptop cooling pad you're talking about.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine is on a stand near the rear of the desk. This provides a nice workspace and the stand keeps the MBP off the desk in case of spillage even though I dont drink anything near it. You cannot be too careful.

5. njaremka macrumors 6502

i always like real wood desks, because the more nicks and dents they get from being used just adds character to the finish. maybe that's just me... i "wood"n't ;) use anything under the mac.

6. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Mine sits atop some old Biochemistry text books on my desk. That seems to do the trick of elevating it and keeping it from mucking up the desk.

7. warvanov macrumors 6502a

I would suggest on top of the desk, but if you're not using it at the moment and it fits you could put it in one of the drawers.