Suggestions please [Which MBA from where]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mnl1987, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mnl1987 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was just wondering which Macbook Air you guys can recommend, and from what site? I have no problem getting a Refurbished model .

I will use it for: Web Browsing, youtube, research, and writing papers. I want something that will last me a few years also. Something that is fast, and won't be slow with my tasks. 13 inch or above screen . Thank you! If possible, under 850.00 also.

2. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

3. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

If refurbished/used isn't an issue for you, try looking through Amazon. I was able to get a used 2014 11" Air for $650 and I spotted a few around the $700 range.

5. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I'll check amazon. Would a 2013 model be good still ?

6. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

2013 will be fine with what you are trying to do. I would get a 2014 with 8 GB of ram if I was buying, however.

7. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I'd be careful of buying a used model on Amazon (or anywhere else) unless you know the seller. A refurbished one from AAPL gives you a 1-year warranty. A used one may have problems you won't find out about until it is too late and your $$ is gone.

Looking at some of the questions / answers on some of the used ones on Amazon... people ordered and never had anything ship for weeks and had to cancel orders.

8. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

One more thing... definitely wait until after March 9th. There are rumors Apple may announce a new 12" Retina MacBook Air at this event. IF that happens, there could be a price drop on current models -- maybe even on the refurbished models.

9. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I still haven't pulled the trigger, even though I want to. After March 9th, how much could the price lower? Would a macbook air from 2013 be good ? It has to be better than this C-55 Satellite with Celeron processor. I just want it to last a year or two, so would something from 2013 be good? Would 2012 be pushing it?

10. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

A 2013 macbook air is just as good as a 2014 macbook air and yes I’m a student myself i have a 2014 base model and it runs through those exact task your talking about like water and it will kill your current laptop i promise

11. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

IMO, the 8/256 is the minimum spec for a machine I intend to keep for the next four years. I don't trust eBay with something like this so with these things in mind, the cheapest Air from Apple is a new model rather than a refurb. B&H has a better deal however due to the fact that they don't collect Sales tax for most people.

These options above are if you need to buy now but may be outside your price range. Craigslist is another option as you can make the seller meet you in an Apple store. Make the transaction contingent on a clean bill of health from the genius bar. Apple has done it free of charge for me in the past. Original packaging, cords and manuals are clues that the person took care of the machine and was the original owner. Remaining Applecare sweetens the deal.

If you can wait, go to refurb.me and enter the specs you want and wait until after the refresh when the prices in the refurb bin drop. Be ready to pull the trigger when you get notification as these things go fast.

12. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I will check the refurb.me site out. Can you guys recommend a exact model that would fit my needs? I just want it to be quick, and able to handle the little things I do. The most work I ever do on a computer is typing a paper up. I want something that will still have a few years left in it. I don't trust ebay. I am up to whatever you guys suggest. Thank you!

13. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I read that a new model is going to come out tomorrow or soon? How much of a discount do they usually do on the older macbooks then? Is it worth it to wait til they release the new ones?

15. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Definitely wait until after tomorrow (Monday).

If no new MBAs are released, then I'd get a refurbished 2013 or 2014 with 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage since you said you'd like it to last a few years. 4 GB RAM may be fine now for many (not me, but that's a different story) but will likely struggle down the road.

16. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I am going to just wait it out another day and see what the prices are .

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent advice and well worth heeding.

To the OP, try to get a 2013 model at least (the battery life is a considerable improvement over the 2012 model), and I agree with Naimfan that 8 GB RAM and 256 GB storage are reasonable specifications if you wish to keep the computer for a number of years.

Another thing. Personally, I would never buy a computer on soothing such as eBay. Go the Apple refurb route, and all of Apple's warranties will apply. Then, if finances allow and you wish to acquire further protection, you can add Applecare by the end of your first year of ownership and it will give you a further two years of protection.

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

For your usage an iPad would work just fine.
    If you insist on a laptop, then buy a 2013 or 2014 base model mba for the battery life. Forget about any upgrades, since for what you are doing, there will be no difference for at least another few years.

19. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

4GB memory will probably not cut in 3-4 years even for your uses. I definitely recommend going with 8GB.
    As technology advances, a lot of programs use more and more resources.
    Even right now something like a web browser (Chrome or Firefox) uses like 500MB of RAM with 3 or 4 open tabs.

20. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

So did prices go down today ? I am trying to find out

21. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I pulled the trigger today. I bought a Macbook Air model #A1466. The specs are : 2GHZ core i7/8gb/256gb . A close friend of mine owns a iPhone, and Computer repair store, this was his Macbook, he just never had time to use it. It's in great condition, and if I ever have a problem, he will help anytime.
    I paid $800.00 , I looked around and for the specs , and condition I think this was a good deal. He takes care of his stuff like it's his baby,so I bought it from someone I trust, and if I have any issues, he is a phone call away.

Did I get a decent deal?

22. PortCity macrumors newbie

You didn't get a good deal, you got a steal my friend.

23. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I guess I just lucked out, he had no use for it anymore, and knew I was wanting to get one. I love it, it was worth the money I think.

24. mnl1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else think I got a deal? I love this thing! So glad I pulled the trigger.