Suggestions: Storage Solutions uMBP & PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheSandman2236, May 26, 2009.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone --

I just got my first unibody Macbook Pro & I need a few suggestions.

I currently have a pretty substantial gaming pc with a Dell 3007WFP-HC that I do 90% of my gaming with. Added to that I have a Drobo with 4x500GB' drives making a total of 1TB of usable storage. This was just fine when I didn't have a Macbook Pro ;) But now I've got multi-platform. I was wondering what the best redundant storage solution would be for me.

A few things--
    I'm a web developer/designer so I have alot of Porfolio pieces to backup plus a ton of stock/creative assets.

I've got about 40GB's of Music, 700GB's of Movies & TV shows, etc.

I'm trying to decide what would be the best route for me to got for storage/back for both my PC and Macbook. I mostly do work on the go or at work with my Macbook Pro. I'd say about 75% of it is done on my Macbook Pro.

I'd also like to get my MBP hooked up to a Time Machine to backup my 320GB OS Drive.

---------

I'm open to any solution really, even if it means selling the Drobo (Non-Firewire 800) and buying something else. I'm doing this for the long run.

Thanks again in advance for anyone help.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The most obvious solution is a Time Capsule, but I dont know if the 1TB version is big enough, and use it alongside the Mac (For Time Machine) and access the Drobo as a shared drive on the PC through the network for Movies, and Music.

3. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

That might work -- 1TB is more than enough storage for my Macbook Pro considering I only have ~320GB's of data on it. And you're saying hook up the drobo to the Time Capule via USB?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have my Drobo connected to a desktop that is on 24/7 and then it is shared over the network. I also have a shell script that keeps the Drobo from spinning down, so I can always access it.

5. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just over an SMB share? What about for Time Machine Backup's? Can you possibly send me over that script?(If it will work on a windows machine)
    I really appreciate your help.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

For Time Machine you may need the drives to be in HFS format.

I built myself a mini server with 2 1.5TB hard drives that I have running 24/7. Was very fun to do and comes in handy when using uTorrent.

I also have iTunes running on there all the time, so that I can stream my music to my Airport Express and hear it on my stereo.

7. Steeph28 macrumors newbie

8. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

But what about PC support?

9. bugout macrumors 6502a

I use an HP EX485 windows home server with 4 2TB hard drives. There have been some deals lately where you can find them for less then $500. Just add your own drives.

I keep utorrent running on it and it backs up all the macs in the house.

It's fully mac & pc compatible, including time machine. I have a mini with plex in 2 rooms in the house and all movies/pics/music run off of it. Works like a charm.