iPad Pro Suggestions while I wait for my iPP to arrive? Preparation?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by artfossil, Jan 6, 2016.

1. artfossil macrumors 6502

artfossil

It's scheduled to arrive next Thursday.

Back up my iPad Air 2? . . And should I set up the iPP from that backup or go ahead and set it up new?

Apps I should look at? I have Procreate, Notability and PDF Expert.

I have the Pencil and this cheap knockoff cover http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U8LHB2G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

(I had a loaner with the Smart Keyboard but don't want to spend for that yet when I have two Logitech keyboards.)

I guess I can just hold the Pencil and pretend I have the iPP? :)

2. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

My suggestion is to try it with and without the case. I ordered mine as well (in mid-November) and while waiting for it to arrive, I purchased a cheap case from Amazon (the "Luvvitt" rear shell case). The iPad Pro arrived in early December, and as soon as I took it out of the box, I clipped it right into the case, and then I turned it on for the first time.

After using it for a couple of days, I started to have regrets about buying it. It tended to get pretty heavy when holding it for any long period of time, and wasn't so comfortable on my lap either. I started to wonder if I should return it and instead buy the iPad Air 2. However, when I thought about it, I remembered that I had stood in the Apple Store playing with their demo for well over an hour before deciding to order it. So then why now did it suddenly feel so uncomfortable to use?

The answer was the case. So I took off the case, and what a difference it made. A couple of years ago I used to use an iPad 2 regularly, and that weighed around 1.3 lbs. Now this iPad Pro is around 1.6 lbs. Once you now add a case, even a light one like the Luvvitt which I think was around 0.6 lbs, you are well over 2 lbs, and then it starts to feel really heavy. Some of these fancier cases weigh at least 1 lb, and now you are basically holding something that weighs what a small laptop does.

If you are someone who uses your iPad while at a table or on a flat surface, then it's not an issue. But I like to hold it, and I have realized that I much prefer it without a case. I do worry about a possible drop, but I used the iPad 2 without a case also and never dropped that in about 2 years of use, so I think I should be ok.

3. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

Good point about the case and the weight. That's why I got just a temporary case to try. The issue with me is that I'm clumsy and I get distracted and I teach and have my studio in an old building with concrete floors so I'm always worried about the "slithery" factor. But I do have AppleCare. :cool:

I've also thought about just getting a sleeve for it.

And, it's now arriving Wednesday. Whoot!

4. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

Spend the money on the Apple Case and Cover. Having them able to be separated instantly and lighten the iPP when wanted is worth the cost. Very well designed.

Set up as new.

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

That's what I ended up doing. I got the incase sleeve. It's not going to help if you drop it while using it, but at least it's protected when I'm transporting it. It's very thin, yet provides really good protection for the corners of the device:

https://www.incase.com/shop/ipad-cases/icon-sleeve-with-tensaerlite/black/

6. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

Thanks. I will set it up as new.
    I do like being able to use the Apple case and cover separately. I just want to restrain my purchasing right now and spend some time figuring out what might work best for me.

Any one have app suggestions? Any one using the Duet dual display app?

7. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Didn't care for the Apple Case. The Smart Cover, however, is indispensable.

8. rwp macrumors member

I second the idea of setting up as new. App suggestions will depend on what you use your iPad for... Personally, I find GoodNotes, Netflix, MS Office, 1password, Comixology, PCalc, and Procreate to be useful. I also use Screens, Transmit, and Reflection to be great for remote system access. Textastic is a marvelous code editor. I like Star Walk, Carcassonne, Hearthstone, and Lara Croft Go for quick entertainment.

I have the Apple Silicone Back Case, the Smart Cover, and the Smart Keyboard. I keep the back case on all the time, and swap the keyboard/cover as needed. I carry the whole thing (with pencil, charger, and other misc bits) in a basic leather satchel between work and home or while on vacation.

Good luck with your new iPad -- I am sure you will enjoy it!

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I third the idea of setting up as new.

I personally use the Apple Smart Keyboard as my case. It does not add that much extra weight and bulk. If I want to go caseless for whatever reason it's just like popping off the smart cover.

If you like coloring and since you have the Pencil I highly recommend the app Pigment. Another MR member mentioned it and I am in love with it. It is a lot of fun using my iPP like a coloring book.

I use my iPad Pro mostly for reading, web browsing and gaming. I prop it up with the ASK case connect my Steel Series Nimbus controller and play a handful of games that way. Any of the Grand Theft Autos, Afterpulse, Asphalt 8 and Dungeon Hunter 5. It really feels like your own little mini game console setup. A lot of fun.

10. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

I'm avoid the "set up as new" when not necessary but I agree, but with this being a different type of device than my iPad Air, I might as well set up as new. Plus, it's always useful to review, again, the apps I have installed.

I was just looking at that! I'm going to go ahead and get it. Plus, think of its uses in faculty meetings!

As for the Smart Keyboard, I LOVED it on the demo model I borrowed. But I do wish Apple would make it in some different colors, although I learned from the other thread on this subject that apparently "Pro" does not include color. o_O I'm hoping that by the time I can afford it, Apple might at least offer it in white.

Fun fact about the possibility of my using the iPP as an external display with my rMBP:

When I take my laptop home, I hook it up to an ancient 2004 Apple Cinema display, which has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and cost $2k new. The resolution of the iPP is 2732 x 2048.

11. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

If you need any kind of file management, access to cloud services/FTP, or PDF manipulation, I'd recommend the various apps from Readdle (Documents, PDF Expert, PDF Converter, Scanner Pro). Between those apps and the Microsoft Office apps, I'm able to do all the document handling I need to do for work.

12. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

Thanks! I
    Thanks! I've used PDF expert for a long time but I'm going to take a look at the companion apps. I'm going to be taking a long hard look at my PDF workflow, especially since annotating PDFs is so much fun on the iPP.

I have an Office 365 subscription through my uni, fortunately, as using commented Word docs is still the primary collaboration method of my colleagues.

13. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I have an Office 365 subscription as well, and I store all my business files on OneDrive. I also have an FTP site that I use to transfer files to my distributors. I found the Readdle Documents program very easy to use to grab files from my OneDrive and upload them to my FTP. I've basically been using Documents as my file manager instead of Microsoft's OneDrive app.

14. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

If you transfer photos to your IPad Pro from an SD card, then pick up the new USB 3.0 Lightning SD card camera reader adapter. It uses USB 3 speeds on the IPad Pro only, on all other IPhones and IPads it will work if they are updated to 9.2 but at USB 2.0 speed.

This little jewel really is fast! Just make sure it says [usb 3.0] on bottom of box as the packaging looks the same as the older USB 2.0 version.

15. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

Thanks and I definitely intend on picking up that accessory!
    I've been using iCloud (more and more), DropBox, and also the University Box account for student work. But I intend to check our OneDrive as well.

My iPP is now scheduled to arrive Tuesday! And I got the "schedule your Personal Setup" email from Apple, which I will probably skip.

16. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Documents can work with all of those cloud services. iCloud Drive is set up by default when you install it, and the others are pretty easy to set up afterwards.

17. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I don't know if MS still does this but your Office 365 subscription with the Uni should give you a 1TB OneDrive storage by default.. and you might be eligible for 60 mins of Skype per month... in case you weren't already aware :)

Pretty much in the same boat.. iPP due to arrive anywhere between Monday and Thursday... I've been just migrating all my documents onto the cloud since I'm planning on selling my rMBP. For more sensitive documents I recommend you try Tresorit.. they give 3GB for free and offers local encryption meaning documents stored on the cloud are technically safe even if hacked, I'm using that for more sensitive official docs.

18. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

Thanks for the info about the additional Office 365 benefits. I'll check those out.

Right now all that's stored on my rMBP is a local copy of my DropBox folder (additional backup). I do have a 2 TB archives external drive. Since seeing the new MacBook I have aspired to be both more nimble and completely cloud based.

I've been using the prospect of the new iPP to motivate me to work like a madwoman before it arrives. :cool:

19. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Haha well my iPP prep has been just going through all my cloud accounts, emails, apps, work habits, and trying to streamline all of it as much as possible... Quite insightful I must say

20. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

21. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Be prepared to ... Be amazed! Got mine this morning. I set up as new, takes a while as I use iPads for many things, and so a lot of apps. It is a beautiful machine. I'm only using a Smart Cover, with a Logitech keys to go keyboard.

22. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil

:) I'm moving into the childlike anticipation phase! And I have that same keyboard (also a Logitech 811) and it's great, which is why I can't justify the $ for the Apple Smart keyboard.

23. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Got the same keyboard my self but I'm thinking of carrying my apple wireless one instead.. I like the clicking feeing :) due to arrive tomorrow!!!

24. artfossil thread starter macrumors 6502

artfossil