Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sinn., Nov 17, 2007.

1. sinn. macrumors member

I have been waiting on the Mac Pros for a while now, but looks like it won't be updated until January, very sad. My stepmother is looking to buy a laptop and wants to buy mine in the next week. This would leave me without a computer for a month or so. Anyone have any options? I was thinking, buy a mini and resell in jan? The MP isn't worth buying now with cost/technology. Any suggestions?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you use your computer for? I reckon buying a temporary mini is a bit of an expensive way to go... Can you find another machine for your step mother in the interim? :)

3. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

Dell E1505

I do not want another PC, not at all.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Yeah, without knowing what you do with it very hard to answer. But getting a mini now and selling in Jan is a good idea – you won't lose very much on it if you get an entry level one and you get to play with Leopard!

5. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

I major in 3d animation. I wont be doing hardly any Maya on the mini since i dont think it would handle it, mostly photoshop and digital painting.

6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

So are you not needing it right now?! or do you use machines in Uni?

I'd buy a 2nd hand G5/Pro and sell it in Jan.

7. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

One of my friends is letting me borrow her G5 while she moves. :), finally will be nice to have a little render box instead of using my Macbook for Avid renders.

8. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

Well here is my delema. My main heavy classes start Jan 14th. I want to spend the winter break working on stuff trying to get a step ahead, also working on my demo reel. Would it be a good idea to buy a used 2.66 MP now on ebay, upgrade and wait it out untill everything is said and done for the new one?

Is the jan update a for sure or is it just a "next best date" type thing? Right now the current MP will fit me needs (except 7300 video card) but I think it would be smart to get the new MP when it comes out since I will be using this comp for the next 2-3 years of schooling.

9. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

what about http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/481625189.html

G5 for $799.

Mac Powermac G5 Dual 64 bit 1.8 Ghz
    - Supports dual displays
    80 gig SATA hard drive (7200 rpm).
    - 1 gig RAM, -
    Superdrive for CD and DVD Burning
    - Firewire, USB, optical digital audio, and analog audio ports -
    Apple Keyboard - Apple mouse - Power cord -

10. zdobson macrumors 6502

Usually the simplest answer is the best. Ask her if she can wait until January. If not, she could buy a computer from somewhere else and you can sell yours once you get the MP.

Another thought: maybe keep the laptop once you have the MP. Speaking from experience, it's annoying to sell something because you want the cash and then realize you really had a use for it after all and want to buy another one.

Looking back to college (I graduated in '04), I wasted a lot of money buying and selling gear. Trust me, the more cash you have on hand when you graduate, the better.