Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sinn., Nov 17, 2007.

  1. sinn. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #1
    I have been waiting on the Mac Pros for a while now, but looks like it won't be updated until January, very sad. My stepmother is looking to buy a laptop and wants to buy mine in the next week. This would leave me without a computer for a month or so. Anyone have any options? I was thinking, buy a mini and resell in jan? The MP isn't worth buying now with cost/technology. Any suggestions?
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    What do you use your computer for? I reckon buying a temporary mini is a bit of an expensive way to go... Can you find another machine for your step mother in the interim? :)
     
  3. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #3
    Dell E1505

    I do not want another PC, not at all.
     
  4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #4
    Yeah, without knowing what you do with it very hard to answer. But getting a mini now and selling in Jan is a good idea – you won't lose very much on it if you get an entry level one and you get to play with Leopard!
     
  5. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #5
    I major in 3d animation. I wont be doing hardly any Maya on the mini since i dont think it would handle it, mostly photoshop and digital painting.
     
  6. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #6
    So are you not needing it right now?! or do you use machines in Uni?

    I'd buy a 2nd hand G5/Pro and sell it in Jan.
     
  7. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

    jrlcopy

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #7
    One of my friends is letting me borrow her G5 while she moves. :), finally will be nice to have a little render box instead of using my Macbook for Avid renders.
     
  8. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #8
    Well here is my delema. My main heavy classes start Jan 14th. I want to spend the winter break working on stuff trying to get a step ahead, also working on my demo reel. Would it be a good idea to buy a used 2.66 MP now on ebay, upgrade and wait it out untill everything is said and done for the new one?

    Is the jan update a for sure or is it just a "next best date" type thing? Right now the current MP will fit me needs (except 7300 video card) but I think it would be smart to get the new MP when it comes out since I will be using this comp for the next 2-3 years of schooling.
     
  9. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    #9
    what about http://raleigh.craigslist.org/sys/481625189.html

    G5 for $799.

    Mac Powermac G5 Dual 64 bit 1.8 Ghz
    - Supports dual displays
    80 gig SATA hard drive (7200 rpm).
    - 1 gig RAM, -
    Superdrive for CD and DVD Burning
    - Firewire, USB, optical digital audio, and analog audio ports -
    Apple Keyboard - Apple mouse - Power cord -
     
  10. zdobson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
    #10
    Usually the simplest answer is the best. Ask her if she can wait until January. If not, she could buy a computer from somewhere else and you can sell yours once you get the MP.

    Another thought: maybe keep the laptop once you have the MP. Speaking from experience, it's annoying to sell something because you want the cash and then realize you really had a use for it after all and want to buy another one.

    Looking back to college (I graduated in '04), I wasted a lot of money buying and selling gear. Trust me, the more cash you have on hand when you graduate, the better.
     

Share This Page